American Progress has an immediate opening for an Assistant Editor. The Assistant Editor will be primarily a copyeditor for American Progress, helping assure the quality of publications ranging from research reports to daily columns. Working in a fast-paced, journalistic environment as part of the team responsible for the production of both print and web content, the Assistant Editor will also have the opportunity to write and package content for the web and work on daily production for the website.
Qualifications and requirements:
- Copyedit American Progress’s policy papers and columns for both print and web.
- Copyedit AmericanProgress.org and other American Progress websites on a daily basis.
- Post content and make updates to AmericanProgress.org and other American Progress websites.
- Maintain the style guide and its grammatical and style standards.
- Maintain accuracy and overall quality of publications.
- Write concise pieces that tie American Progress’s policy work to daily news events.
- Write headlines, briefs, and photo captions.
- Work on the conception and execution of special websites and projects.
American Progress provides a competitive compensation and benefits package.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- One to three years of editing experience with an online component a plus. Recent graduates are encouraged to apply.
- Excellent editing skills, including a particular attention to detail and accuracy.
- Familiarity with AP or Chicago style guides.
- Strong ability to work under time pressure and to work independently.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Strong organizational skills and problem-solving capabilities.
- Experience with HTML, XML, and CSS a plus.
- Experience with Photoshop a plus.
- Commitment to the organization’s mission and goals.
American Progress is an equal opportunity employer; women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org .
For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaaction.org .
E-mail your Word resume and cover letter attachments to: firstname.lastname@example.org .
Or you may write to:
Center for American Progress
1333 H Street, NW, 10th Floor
Washington, DC 20005
In your correspondence, please reference the exact title of the job you are applying for in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls please .
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress - 10 months ago