Linux RedHat Systems Administrator to MS Platforms. Provide up to 3rd Level technical support (“follow the sun” model) and after-hours and on-call and weekend support. In this respect working closely with UK and US colleagues to mature the global support model.
Work on various Linux/Unix and network infrastructure projects to improve system reliability and performance and deliver new features and services. Work with business, developers and system administrators on planning, setting up new and expanding existing infrastructure. Troubleshoot system performance and connectivity issues within the application and the infrastructure, feeding back any relevant application issues back to our development team. Work with vendors to test and evaluate new hardware and software solutions.
Duties & accountabilities
As a Linux Systems Administrator team lead, you will have extensive experience with Linux/Unix and in particular with Red Hat Enterprise (RHEL) versions 4/5/6. Experience of Linux OS build technologies including Puppet and Satellite. Sound knowledge of server hardware including HP DL360 and BL460 G5 through G7. You will be working within a small cross-trained team and working primarily around Linux systems. Daily your role will see you working on rolling out Linux servers to our various internal and public facing environments.
Strong understanding of Linux performance tuning (including storage and network). Strong Scripting skills (korn, Bourne, perl).
Candidates should be able to demonstrate their skills in solving network-related issues, in particular VLAN, LAN and WAN connectivity.
Sound leadership skills and management of a small team. Set direction and have a strong sense of continuous improvement.
Key to being successful, will be the ability to administer and provide day-to-day support of the Linux/Unix Servers, including problem resolution on all Linux/Unix Systems, issue prioritization and in providing various hardware, operating system diagnostics and support; 24/7. Basic understanding of Web architecture (specifically apache is advantageous as is Zenoss and Oracle and IBM MQ
Candidate should have good oral and written communication skills, including the ability to interact effectively with executives, operations staff, vendors and peers.
Shell scripting ( Perl/Bash/ksh )
Education and experience
- At least 7 years plus working in a mixed unix environment.
- RHCE Certification is a strong plus.
- Prior people management experience is required
- Ability to understand business objectives and focus and prioritize multiple projects accordingly
- Willingness to take ownership of Production and day to day operational issues is a must.
- A proven focus on proactive issue avoidance highly desirable
- Candidate should have good interpersonal and written communication skills, including the ability to interact effectively with executives, operations staff, vendors and peers.
- Must be able to work effectively with other Operations groups (development, network ) in resolving issues
- Needs to be able to project a strong professional work ethic onto other team members
Markit On Demand - 2 years ago
copy to clipboard