- Responsible for managing and coordinating the hospital activities of patient care and management for the assigned shift by serving as administrative personnel in the absence of department managers, directors and administrators. She/He is responsible for recognizing and assisting to solve patient care, professional, administrative, and supervisory problems. Responsible for facilitating and coordinating quality services. Models appropriate behavior as exemplified in Methodist Le Bonheur Healthcare's Mission, Vision and Values.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Coordinates the nursing activities on assigned shift in a manner reflective of the hospital's philosophy and objectives.
- Serves as a management/administrative liaison to hospital departments and services based on established policies and procedures.
- Promotes the flow of information by utilizing and maintaining effective communication systems within the Division of Nursing, Admissions, ancillary departments, physicians and families.
- Solves problems and troubleshoots issues that may affect the unit or patient care ensuring timely and effective action.
- Participates in quality monitoring and evaluation activities and implements measures to ensure that hospital JCAHO and other quality standards are met.
- Assesses current areas of nursing practice and makes recommendations as needed to Director or CNO.
- Provides assistance to nursing staff when needed or as emergency situations occur.
- Assesses nursing care and patient responses by unit rounds.
- Provides assistance to nursing staff, giving priority to floors with identified staffing or patient care needs.
- Supports Preceptor role by serving as a mentor and providing guidance as needed during situations.
- Serves as a resource to nursing staff for new or unusual procedures.
- Provides technical assistance and direction for nursing staff and other disciplines.
- Allocates staffing resources between units based on census and patient acuity. Oversees patient placement process assuring that patient safety and infection control standards are maintained.
- Responds to patient and parent complaints in the absence of the Patient Advocate and documents actions taken.
EDUCATION/TRAINING & EXPERIENCE:
- Registered Nurse with a current license to practice as a professional nurse in the State of Mississippi.
- Bachelor's degree required, nursing preferred OR current pursuing BSN to be attained within 5 years from date of hire.
- Technical and clinical abilities as obtained through two to four years recent professional experience in a general hospital setting.
- Critical Care background preferred.
- ACLS/PALS preferred (if not, must obtain within 3-6 months).
Methodist Healthcare - 15 months ago