Gerdau is currently seeking a Purchasing Agent for its Wilton, Iowa facility.
The position is primarily responsible for the procurement of retail scrap appropriate for steelmaking. Under the immediate direction of the Raw Materials Purchasing Manager/Regional Commercial Manager, the incumbent will be responsible for executing the approved plan to accomplish the objective of minimizing overall billet cost.
This position is primarily responsible for the procurement of retail scrap in an economical and efficient manner. This position will be responsible for establishing and maintaining effective relations with available suppliers including active solicitation of new supply sources, within assigned region. The supplier base will include both established retail processors as well as suppliers whose business is conducted on a direct basis at the retail buying facilities as established at Gerdau mill divisions.
This position reports directly to the Raw Materials Purchasing Manager and has a functional reporting relationship to the Regional Commercial Manager. The incumbent will coordinate activities with other procurement personnel; Transportation, Melt Shop management, and mill scrap inspection and accounting personnel
Gerdau offers opportunities for advancement in an ever challenging, high-tech environment. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package and the opportunity to grow with a world-class, multinational company. We recognize the contributions of our team members and provide opportunities for advancement.
- Must have minimum H.S. Diploma, but would prefer Bachelor’s Degree.
- Minimum of two years experience in the buying, melting or receiving of steel scrap or similar work experience at an exempt level.
- Ideally, candidate should have strong sales experience or a history in sales managing 3rd party accounts.
- Must be a self starter and possess strong negotiating, communication, math and problem-solving skills.
- Possess a professional attitude.
- In addition, incumbent should possess knowledge of sources and grades of raw materials, along with some knowledge of transportation issues and scrap yard operations.
- Candidate must function effectively both independently and as a member of a cross-functional team.
- High ethical standards and a strong work ethic are key attributes. Incumbent will support commercial practices based on established policies to ensure fair, ethical and productive relationships with suppliers.
- Requires candidate to travel often (50% - 60% locally).
- Must stay abreast of current market trends and be aware of regional scrap markets and competitive situations/practices.
- Must be knowledgeable in the computer systems and procedures used to receive, handle and pay for scrap
Gerdau offers excellent benefits that start the FIRST DAY OF EMPLOYMENT!
Medical & Prescription
Basic Life/Accidental Life Insurance
Employee Assistance Program
Tuition Reimbursement Program
Gerdau is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to diversifying its workforce. All applicants must be legally eligible to work in the country of hire without current or future sponsorship.
Gerdau Ameristeel puts its stamp on the steel business in the US. The company is one of the largest minimill steelmakers in North America,...