Requisition Number: 5134
- Earn and understand all press room safety rules including chemical safety, hearing conservation, plate handling, etc.
- Must become proficient in basic newspaper printing techniques, understanding basic ink/water balance, press quality standards (Specifications for Newsprint Advertising Production [SNAP] Certification standards as they apply to the press department or comparable as assigned), and use of densitometer.
- Read press diagrams accurately.
- Must be able to safely operate fork lift and clamp truck. Place newsprint rolls in lay-down area, strip rolls, removing wrappers and waste from reel room area.
- Must become proficient in basic reel room operations and procedures. This includes paper handling (loading form lay-down area to roll carts or utilizing automated roll handling system), position and load into press reels while understanding proper spindle arm settings, and make-up of splice/paster patterns.
- Properly clean, mount, and remove press blankets (plate cushions for Flexo) and press ink/water rollers. This involves understanding proper torque settings and blanket height and range, as well as durometer (hardness) measurements for rollers.
- Properly spot and mount plates to achieve proper continuity and color registration.
- Conduct and document daily, weekly, and monthly routine maintenance and cleaning of press, including ink fountains.
- Submits accurate, effective reports in a timely fashion as required.
- Participates in monthly Press departmental safety meetings.
- Keeps Press production area safe, clean, and organized.
- Correctly handles recyclable materials (as assigned) to receive best overall recovery of salvageable materials.
- Works well with employees of the Press department and other departments.
- Handles all other duties as assigned.
- Must be able to train for and pass fork lift and clamp truck certification
- Must be able to repeatedly climb stairs as required for newspaper printing presses.
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time.
- Must be able to push and load newsprint rolls weighing approximately 2,000 pounds.
- Must be able to work in inky, oily, and greasy environment.
- Exposure to heights.
- Exposure to paper dust.
- Exposure to constant machine noise.
- Frequent lifting of 25 to 50 pounds.
- Specific required vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, and accurate color vision
Job News - 8 months ago