Guided by the belief that every life has equal value, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation works to help all people lead healthy, productive lives. In developing countries, it focuses on improving people's health and giving them the chance to lift themselves out of hunger and extreme poverty. In the United States, it seeks to ensure that all people-especially those with the fewest resources-have access to the opportunities they need to succeed in school and life. Based in Seattle, the foundation is led by CEO Jeff Raikes and co-chair William H. Gates Sr., under the direction of Bill and Melinda Gates and Warren Buffett.
Do you believe technology can improve lives around the world? We do! We are IT at the Gates Foundation. We are a creative, dynamic group of technologists determined to help change the world. Bring your creative thinking to our tight knit, energetic team to help us achieve our mission. Work CAN be fun and inspiring – check us out.
This position is responsible for providing engineering, design, support, and maintenance of foundation database technology and architectures in all environments. It will also provide data warehouse development and operational support. Design, install, and maintain production databases. Support development environment and help/mentor developers on SQL related issues. May perform some SQL development.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Collaborate across multiple teams to research, architect, engineer and configure complex database solutions to specified requirements in support of global, business critical systems.
- Provide tier-3 support, including database design, backup, restore, monitoring & troubleshooting.
- Triage, investigate, and resolve complex system issues and incidents escalated from lower support tiers.
- Provide SQL development and coding for data integrations.
- Document database designs, solutions, configurations, and teach/mentor other support tiers, team members and vendors including onboarding and knowledge transfer.
- Coordinate and oversee the assignments, delivery, and quality of other database administrators.
- Continuously improve system and database performance, automation, operations and processes.
- Decisions regarding the operation of database servers and their contents with the goal of maximizing availability to end-users and ensuring data safety and integrity. Decisions on hardware configurations for servers and on database user management. Decisions regarding database design, security, and recoverability given business requirements.
- Deciding on which activities to perform given requirement of system. Deployment process - deciding on appropriate steps when building processes for others to use.
- Bachelor's degree with 6-10 years of experience.
- Highly proficient in all versions of SQL Server and related operational tasks.
- Skilled with Microsoft operating systems, system management tools and networking.
- Well-versed in personal computers and in computer technology as a whole.
- T-SQL programing - Expert level knowledge/experience.
- Understanding of Hardware - Intermediate level knowledge/experience.
- Advanced/Expert Knowledge and experience with complex Data warehouse technology.
This is a Limited Term Employment (LTE) position. It is currently a 36 month assignment.
As part of our standard hiring process for new employees, employment with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation will be contingent upon successful completion of a comprehensive background check.
The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation - 17 months ago
You don't have to be one of the world's richest men or know one to make a difference with your charitable gifts -- but it helps....