This twelve month professional position will have teaching responsibilities in general nursing and in the instructor’s specialty area following a rural community based curriculum. This position will have classroom, lab and clinical responsibilities. The nursing instructor is expected to provide guidance and direction necessary to allow students to achieve pre-established course objectives. Working within a detailed course syllabus, the instructor is expected to be an effective classroom/clinical manager and an advocate of the philosophy and policies of FVCC both in and out of the classroom/clinical. Nursing Instructors in the Flathead Valley Community College Nursing Program are expected to engage in professional, college and community service, and to be engaged in teaching, scholarship, and service consistent with the criteria for academic ranking.
Nursing Instructors are expected to maintain a continuous program of professional development that includes attendance and participation in professional education and keeping current with the literature in their discipline. Instructors are expected to provide nursing leadership in Montana and beyond through active participation in professional nursing organizations. This position reports to the Nursing Program director.
Example of Duties:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Work with the Nursing Program Director to maintain compliance with the Montana Board of Nursing and abide by the standards of the governing body of FVCC, Nursing Program policies and procedures, general professional nursing standards, and the specific requirements of agencies used for student clinical experiences as follows:
- Serves as a professional role model to students.
- Responsible for instructional preparation and effectively teaching nursing courses offered in the classroom, clinical, and laboratory setting by demonstrating the ability to plan, organize, implement and evaluate instructional materials in assigned areas of didactics, nursing lab, and clinical teaching.
- Develops syllabus, including grading criteria, student assignments and learning activities.
- Selects appropriate text and assigned reading. Develops course materials in written form and advanced technological methods including the use of D2L and other technology as it becomes available.
- Coordinates the use of agencies for student clinical experiences. Arranges for agency affiliate agreements and updates, in coordination with the Program Director and Administrative Assistant.
- Arranges for the placement of library reserve materials, readings, journals, course packets, etc., with the library personnel.
- Participates in the assessment, review and evaluation of nursing courses in the classroom, lab and/or clinical setting along with the evaluation of student performance consistent with the Practical and ASN Nurse Program outcomes of professional behavior, communication, assessment, planning, caring and management of care. Responsible for developing evaluation materials and keeping documentation records as required.
- Participates in the advising of students and maintains office hours according to FVCC policy. Provides or recommends support and assistance for students having difficulty in achieving course objectives (individual meetings with faculty, tutoring etc.).
- Completes student grade entry on the designated FVCC administrative system according to policy and deadlines.
- Responsible for maintaining current R.N. licensure and professional experience in teaching specialty.
- Collaborates with nursing colleagues to support and implement the philosophy, conceptual framework, objectives and policies of the FVCC Nursing Program.
- Actively participates in curriculum development, course refinement and program evaluation consistent with objectives as set forth by FVCC and the Montana State Board of Nursing.
- Develops standards for admission, progression and graduation of student nurses for both PN and ASN programs.
- Participates in activities of the total faculty of FVCC in ways that benefit the institution, the nursing program, the faculty and students.
- Participates in FVCC professional committees and activities. Participates in professional development for personal and professional growth.
- Engages in collaborative and respectful working relationships with students, campus and clinical staff, faculty colleagues on campus and in the clinical sites.
- Demonstrates current experience within nursing specialty.
- Participates in e valuating the effectiveness of the professional nursing program, the quality of instruction and recommend and institute changes to improve the overall quality of nursing education at FVCC and clinical facilities.
- Participates in evaluation of peers, director, and administrators.
- Keeps the Program Director informed of issues, problems and changes, in courses as well as in clinical settings.
- Teaching experience in a Nursing program or completed coursework in teaching methods, curriculum development, testing and evaluation.
- BSN degree with ability to complete a Master’s degree in 3 years.
- At least 3 years of experience in nursing in areas such as med/surg nursing, gerontology, maternal child nursing, psychiatric nursing, or community health nursing.
- Ability to set up teaching materials for the multiple skill levels of the PN and RN lab experiences.
- Knowledge and computer skills adequate for patient care simulations and for educational and administrative requirements.
- Knowledge of the safe use and disposal of hazardous equipment and chemicals.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Proven dedication to student learning and academic support.
- Current unencumbered RN licensure in the State of Montana.
- Current Healthcare Provider CPR certification.
- Ability to travel within Montana when necessary.
· Master’s degree in Nursing from a nationally accredited program.
· Completed course work in curriculum development, principles and methods of teaching, and measurement and evaluation of learner outcomes.
· Two years of teaching experience in a nursing program.
· One year of experience working in a simulation/lab setting.
· BLS Instructor certification.
· ACLS certification.
· PALS certification.
You must apply online by clicking on the "Apply" link above. If this is the first time you are using our online job application, you need to create an account with a Username and Password. After creating an account, click on the "Build Job Application" link. This application can be saved and used to apply for more than one job opening. Paper applications are not accepted.
We ask that you submit the following application materials (may be added as attachments to on line application)
A cover letter indicating exactly how you meet the required qualifications.
A current, comprehensive resume.
Transcripts from all colleges or universities you have attended. (Copies of transcripts are acceptable now; however, official transcripts will be required at time of employment offer.) Only transcripts from accredited colleges or universities will be used for employment considerations.
Names, addresses, phone numbers and email addresses of five professional references (references to include faculty, subordinates, supervisors).
Paper applications will not be accepted .
Position is open until filled
Flathead Valley Community College - 14 months ago