A key component of our strategy is identifying, recruiting and retaining the highest quality lateral partner candidates whose personal and professional qualities ensure their institutional compatibility and long-term success at the firm.
To achieve our goals, the firm seeks a Director of Lateral Partner Recruitment who will help direct and coordinate activities associated with the recruitment, evaluation, hiring and integration of lateral partners.
The Firm invests a considerable amount of professional time in the lateral partner process. For example, the Firm has a partner who currently devotes a significant amount of time directing and coordinating lateral partner hiring activities, in consultation with firm management. The Director will be expected to work closely with this partner and, over time, take on many of that partner’s current responsibilities.
The Director is expected to develop a thorough understanding of the Firm’s history, philosophies, culture, clients and strategic plan. Working with others, the Director will help develop search strategies, tactics, and an operational plan.
More specifically, the Director will be expected to:
- Coordinate or lead specific searches, as assigned by senior leadership (the chairman or the managing partner or other members of the firm’s management committee, practice group leaders, as well as others with strategic roles in the lateral hiring process) which includes setting job specifications, networking, sourcing, screening, coordinating interviews, selection, and initial on-boarding.
- Develop job specifications, identify critical success factors, and understand the business plans for prospective hires.
- Review applications from candidates, and decide which applicants merit further review from partners.
- Manage relationships with external recruiters, including contract arrangements, candidate screening and quality assurance.
- Develop and maintain a sense of marketplace intelligence, e.g., hiring trends, the movement of key talent to competitors and scarce or hot skills.
- Assist with creating, editing, communicating and finalizing sponsor (or justification) memos on potential candidates.
- Track success of hires, and apply learning to future criteria.
Skills, Experience, and Characteristics:
This position will be located in New York, with regular trips to Boston and other domestic and international locations expected (25% travel).
- 10 years + progressively responsible relevant experience in nationally recognized law firm with expert knowledge of the full lifecycle of recruiting and retaining partners. We expect the successful candidate to be employed in this function. Further we expect the candidate to have an additional 5-10 years related business and/or legal experience.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to influence action and results with partners and leadership groups inside the firm, as well as with external recruiters and candidates
- Persuasive skills – the ability to quickly establish credibility with the Firm and earn the trust of Firm leaders and partners. The ability to execute with expertise compelling and convincing arguments and presentations
- Possess practical, independent judgment and self-confidence, and also flexibility
- Be a proven leader and manager, with great attention to detail
- Is well organized and resourceful; highly effective and efficient at marshalling multiple resources to get things done, across a variety of constituencies
Normal office environment and schedule. The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of essential functions, responsibilities or requirements.
Ropes & Gray - 4 years ago