University of Pittsburgh Physicians is hiring a full-time Surgery Scheduler to support the day to day operations of the Department of Plastic Surgery for its Physician Services location in Oakland. This position is Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Coordinate and schedule patients for inpatient and outpatient surgical procedures. Assist the surgeon and the administrator in promoting, developing and monitoring all aspects of operations.
- Answer and respond to all incoming telephone inquiries regarding surgery and provides educational material, both verbally and through printed materials.
- Schedule pre-screening exams, diagnostic testing, postoperative appointments and surgical cases for all patients.
- Discuss and coordinate financial arrangements prior to surgery including the collection of pre-payments.
- Prepare and forward all necessary admission reservations/requisitions, including demographics and insurance information to hospitals.
- Ensure all billing and insurance information is current and accurate.
- Obtain pre-certification and/or referral prior to the date of the procedure.
- Ensure that informed consents are signed.
- Coordinate cases and communicates with hospital personnel to obtain approval for hospital admissions.
- Provide patients with pre and postoperative instruction according to service specific guidelines.
- Act as liaison between patient and referring physicians.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Completion of a medical assisting program or two to four years experience in a medical field.
- UPMC experience preferred.
- Proficiency in medical terminology preferred.
- Prior scheduling experience preferred
- General knowledge of computer software and practice management databases is essential.
- Knowledge of the Epic practice management programs preferred.
- Strong organization, time management and interpersonal skills.
- Tact and diplomacy are necessary in dealing with physicians, patients and their families and other employees.
- Ability to deal compassionately and professionally with patients is essential.
- Work independently and possess sound decision-making skills.
- Knowledge of insurance regulations, specifically Medicare, BC/BS, managed care plans and workers compensation carriers regarding scheduling and approval of surgical procedures.
- Ability to prioritize work demands.
- Ability to consistently maintain confidentiality with regards to all job assignments and related information.
UPMC is an equal opportunity employer.
UPMC - 3 years ago
copy to clipboard
UPMC is one of the leading nonprofit health systems in the United States. A $10 billion integrated global health enterprise headquartered in...