Under the direct supervision of the Public Works Superintendent, this position performs a variety of advanced administrative support assignments, including budget administration, inventory control, contract administration assistance, and research projects, while adhering to City-wide and specialized departmental policies and procedures; and provides office coordination and support. Public Works is made up of five areas of operation: Water, Sewer, Surface Water Management, Streets and Fleet. This position will support the operations of each of these areas, utilizing a variety of software packages. This position works in an office setting that is relatively remote from other City functions, and in an office housed within the Public Works building. The primary staff interacting with this position are Public Works supervisors and crews. The competitive candidate will be self-motivated, able to work independently with minimal supervision, and demonstrate appropriate independent judgment to solve problems. Basic accounting skills, experience using Microsoft Office, and database software and inventory management experience helpful.
This position is represented by the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME) union.
1. Provide staff support to the Superintendent of Public Works by assisting with administrative support duties of an advanced, complex and sensitive nature for the five areas of operation in Public Works (Water, Sewer, Surface Water Management, Streets and Fleet); provide customer service to the public, other organizations and other City employees.
2. Perform a complex central administrative support function on a regular basis; assist in contract administration, monitor performance of contractors and vendors to ensure contract compliance. Monitor and report on departmental intergovernmental agreements.
3. Provide purchasing coordination for all areas of Public Works, manage parts and supplies inventories including developing specifications, reviewing quotes, verifying shipments and inventory.
4. Provide accounting and budgetary support by preparing requisitions for purchases, preparing invoices for payment, monitoring revenues and expenses against the appropriated budget levels, reconciling various systems to ensure costs and expenses are properly recorded, and managing the work order system to ensure crew time and parts used are recorded properly.
5. Provide complex records management duties in support of departmental operations including maintaining a clear filing system that meets State and City requirements for retention and destruction.
6. Coordinate and participate in the preparation of departmental budgets; monitor budget expenditures and revenues.
7. Interpret policies and regulations for the public and departmental personnel, resolving difficult problems; respond to citizen complaints, made in person and over the phone, coordinating solutions.
8. Manage and maintain at least four different software programs and their various modules, including Eden, CAMS, Fuelmaster and Xc2 Backflow; maintain Public Works webpages.
9. Maintain a current inventory and complete the required reports of hazardous waste related to the Public Works' functions.
10. Evaluate office and administrative functions; research, develop, recommend and implement major changes in office procedures.
11. Receive time cards and other personnel information; review information for accuracy and completeness; assist in preparing payroll information; maintain confidentiality.
12. Prepare analytic and statistical reports on operations and activities including specialized database management for all areas of Public Works.
13. Perform related duties and responsibilities as required.
Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade and training in a specialty area related to Public Works and/or administrative support. Qualifying training could include on the job training or successful completion of a class (or classes) in office administration, Microsoft Office or related software, inventory control, database management, or basic accounting.
Three years of increasingly responsible office administration experience including at least two years of familiarity in a specialty area related to Public Works and/or administrative support (for example, experience in performing a complex central administrative support function; or experience in budget, inventory, or database management).
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
Environment: Office and warehouse setting in the Public Works Building, with some travel to attend meetings and the possibility of occasional overnight travel for training.
Mobility: Incumbents require sufficient mobility to work in an office setting, operate office equipment, and perform inventory in a warehouse that may require stooping, bending, and stepping up on a ladder.
Vision: Vision sufficient to read small print, computer screens and other printed documents.
Submit completed City application by posted deadline. Appropriate documentation verifying Veteran's status must be submitted if claiming Veteran's preference. Application materials will be evaluated based on experience, education and training. Finalists will be invited to interview. Reference checks will be made prior to offer of employment. Employment is contingent upon verification of an acceptable driving and criminal record. Application deadline is 11:59 p.m. February 22, 2013.
City of Forest Grove, OR - 22 months ago
copy to clipboard