Division: Product Safety
Function: Product Safety
State/Province: North Carolina [NC]
Country: United States [US]
Position Title: Technical Expert–Protein Biochemist/Entomologist
Job ID: 3740
Role Purpose/Accountabilities:Role purpose:
Experienced scientist to provide technical expertise in the area of characterizing transgenic proteins in genetically modified crops using insect bioassay and bioanalytical methods in support of global and regional safety and registration activities.
- Deliver scientific expertise and recommendations to enable successful experimental program implementation to characterize transgenic proteins in genetically modified crops.
- Deliver scientific expertise and recommendations to develop and implement innovative testing strategies compatible with achieving global registrations of genetically modified crops.
- Support and advocate study designs, strategies and technical positions to gain acceptance from internal and external (e.g. regulators) stakeholders.
- Share expertise and knowledge to increase capability of team members.
- Develop/sustain recognition among internal and external communities as an expert in the field of transgenic protein characterization.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- Plan, design and execute insect bioassays to characterize and assess biological activity of transgenic proteins derived from microbial sources and genetically modified crops.
- Provide solutions to technical problems associated with the performance of insect bioassays employing transgenic proteins.
- Conduct extraction, purification, analysis, and characterization of proteins derived from plant samples and other matrices, using standard laboratory bioanalytical techniques (e.g. Western blot, ELISA, SDS-PAGE, enzymatic activity assays, sample purity assays, total protein determination).
- Ensure technical procedures are in alignment with regulatory expectations and meet international standards where applicable.
- Act as project lead or key participant in designated projects.
- Serve as GLP-Study Director or Study Manager accountable for timely delivery of studies conducted as part of comprehensive regulatory data packages in support of the global registration of genetically modified food crops.
- Remain abreast of current research to identify potential opportunities and issues.
- Independently manage workload to meet milestones and timelines.
- The position demands a solid and wide-ranging knowledge of entomology and biochemistry, combined with a realistic appreciation of how to solve problems in relation to regulatory questions through data development. A Masters or PhD degree with extensive experience and knowledge of entomology, biochemistry, biology or related subject, is required.
Critical technical, professional and personal capabilities:
- The position requires individuals with a PhD or alternatively, individuals with a Masters are required to have a minimum of 5 years of work experience which includes hands-on conduct of insect bioassays. The incumbent must demonstrate expertise within their field, with sustained performance and accomplishments and a proven track record of solving difficult problems.
- Experience working with insect larvae bioassays, including study design and data analysis.
- Experience working with insecticidal proteins required.
- Solid knowledge of protein biochemistry, especially, in plant biochemistry is an advantage.
- Experience in technical writing.
- Experience in GLP preferred, but not essential.
Critical leadership capabilities:
- Ability to work effectively within a matrix environment and on multidisciplinary teams
- Ability to interpret critical data and statistical analyses from experimental data
- Ability to work to business critical deadlines
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to interact and communicate with internal and external stakeholders
Critical Success Factors & Key Challenges:
- Sets ambitious strategic goals by
- Developing clever strategies and aligning objectives for individuals and teams
- Prioritizing actions and ensuring appropriate support and resource
- Communicates inspirationally by
- Gaining commitment of stakeholders in a compelling way
- Aligning objectives to the company strategy and adding value
- Manages Performance to ensure high standards by
- Skillfully planning, organizing and monitoring performance to meet deadlines
- Sensing and adapting to the changing environment to achieve excellence in delivery; recognizing and celebrating success, learning from failures
- Develops self and others by
- Coaching others to excel by giving clear, direct and skillful feedback
- Providing opportunities for learning, development and growth
- Technical expertise in insect bioassays and protein biochemistry applied to deliver high quality data packages to ensure successful global registration of genetically modified food crops.
- Ability to write complex technical documents, such as protocols, reports and SOPs, to GLP standards and in a clear and easy to understand manner.
- Facilitate adaptation of insect bioassay testing methods used in ecotoxicology and entomology studies for use in characterization of transgenic proteins in genetically engineered food crops.
- A strong capacity for problem solving (analysis, strategy and execution)
- Maintain and improve highest quality working standards.
- All laboratory analytical work and documentation in this position will be conducted in accordance with Good Laboratory Practices (GLP) - training will be provided.
- All applicants must be eligible to work in the US.
- Travel requirements are minimal
Syngenta - 15 months ago
Plagues of locusts, weevils, or any other kind of crop-destroying bugs were no match for Syngenta Crop Protection. The subsidiary of...