Posting date: February 7, 2013
The Quality Engineer will help the Environmental Products Facility unit within Thermo Fisher Scientific deliver on this value proposition by defining site-wide policies related to the quality of the products we sell, and by implementing quality tools which will empower our Team to insure the outgoing quality of our products.
This role will be a ground floor opportunity to continually improve on a Quality System that complies with ISO 9001 requirements at a site that has a mature ISO 9001 quality system.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Decision Making Authority
- Reading and interpreting product drawings.
- Developing packaging specifications.
- Developing Standard Operating Procedures.
- Enable collaborative relationships with customers, suppliers and internal departments to prevent quality related wastes.
- Direct interface with customers on internal and external quality concerns as well as on-site audits. Provide guidance, direction, and leadership to address all issues related to product or process.
- Prepare and review internal and vendor quality reports and data.
- Analyze product specifications and manufacturing processes and procedures to determine best practices to meet or exceed our quality and ISO standards. Lead continual improvements to our processes and ISO procedures.
- Lead continuous improvements (PPI) and root cause corrective actions (8D/PRR) to become Best-in Class; benchmark internal and external facilities as required.
- Development of daily audit and tracking reports to measure improvements.
- Drive supplier quality improvement and measure effectiveness.
- Capture internal and external quality performance data and provide linkage to process owners to drive improvement.
- Serve as a manufacturing liaison during new product development, customer communication, and the RMA process.
- Engage in harmonizing, maintaining, and enhancing the Rockwood Quality Management System.
- Lead classroom activities such as training and PPI projects.
- Other miscellaneous duties as assigned.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
- Must be able to make informed accept/reject decisions regarding product quality taking into consideration the impact on the customer as well as the business.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities necessary to perform essential functions
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering related discipline required
- 1 year relevant work experience in an operations or quality role in a manufacturing environment required
- Experience in Quality Assurance preferred
Interaction with Other Employees
- Excellent math skills.
- Working knowledge of Excel, Word and Power Point.
- Use of basic measuring instruments such as scales, calipers, torque meter.
- Working knowledge of root cause analysis or other problem solving tools, such as 8D.
- Must be able to communicate with customers on a professional level.
- Must be able to write clearly and concisely.
- Ability to work independently with occasional assistance.
- Ability to take ownership for general processes/products.
- Must have basic understanding of Production Schedules.
- Must be well organized.
- Demonstrate Thermo Fisher Scientific values – Integrity, Intensity, Innovation and Involvement
- Demonstrated Role Model Leader Characteristics:
- Embody the 4-I values
- Delight customers
- Communicate openly and honestly
- Focus on growth
- Champion employee development
This position provides daily updates to Quality Engineer Supervisor and has one on one and group interaction with manufacturing department to gather information, answer questions regarding quality, and lead problem solving activities
As the world’s leader in serving science, at Thermo Fisher Scientific, our professionals develop critical solutions—and build...