The City of Burlingame is accepting applications for an On-Call Library Assistant II. This is a non-benefited position. The candidate will fill staffing vacancies as needed and will be required to work days, evenings, weekends and/or holidays. Schedule may vary and incumbent must be available to work flexible hours.
Under general supervision, incumbents may be assigned to perform duties in one or more of the following service areas.
* Perform the opening and closing of the library for public service.
* Respond to patrons in-person and by telephone regarding requests for library materials, services, and other information.
* Accept donations for library patrons and issues receipts.
* Receive and respond to patron complaints and inquiries regarding overdue materials and lost or damaged materials.
* Register and issue library cards to patrons; check patron status to verify registration information; enter patron information into the appropriate database.
* Operate computer terminal and other standard library office equipment to access and modify various databases.
* Assist patrons with placing holds on library materials and perform hold related functions.
* Check library books and materials in and out using a computerized on-line system.
* Retrieve and shelve books and other materials.
* Unpack and sort book shipments and distribute as indicated; process library materials for circulation.
* Check in library materials from curbside book drop.
Education & Experience:
A High School Diploma or equivalent is required, supplemented by one year of experience performing general clerical or related work in a public library or public service organization.
Apply Immediately, position may close at any time.
All applicant are required to submit a City of Burlingame Employment Application available at www.calopps.org . Applications are also available at City Hall, Human Resources Department, 501 Primrose Road, Burlingame, Ca 94010or by calling 650-558-7206.
Unless otherwise specified, ALL CORRESPONDENCE WILL BE CONDUCTED VIA THE EMAIL ADDRESS PROVIDED ON YOUR APPLICATION.
- Prior to appointment, candidates are subject to fingerprinting.
- To comply with The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 new employees are required to provide proof of identity and authorization to work in the United States at date of hire. Employee will be required to present an original social security card.
- General clerical methods and procedures
- Computer word processing; office machines; including fax, copier, microfiche, etc.
- Library organization, procedures and terminology
- Use of library automated systems and accounting/recordkeeping systems.
- Working knowledge of III Millennium Circulation System preferred
PHYSICAL, MENTAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Learn and apply in an appropriate manner library terminology and standard library practices and techniques.
- Perform clerical work with speed and accuracy.
- Competent keyboard skills.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationship with those contacted in the course of work.
- Understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- Perform specialized library clerical work such as the receipt, processing and circulation of books, bibliographical data entry
- Verification of computer generated reports related to collection management
- Perform various accounting and/or recordkeeping duties
- Supervise and schedule pages
- Supervise and schedule volunteers
- Promotional material and exhibits. under the general supervision from higher level library personnel produce library
Must be physically able to operate a variety of automated office machines which include a computer, printer, Ability to work in a standard library environment; ability to sit, stand, walk, kneel, crouch, squat, reach, lift 50 pounds and push/pull 100 pounds.
No Benefits Offered