The Major Gifts Associate will support the work of 3-4 Major Gifts Officers in the Region as well as maintain a personal portfolio of major gift donors. Sixty percent of the Associate’s time will be spent supporting these MGOs in reaching their annual fundraising goals. The remaining forty percent will be spent identifying, engaging, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding current and prospective donors to meet the Associate’s annual revenue target. The Associate will serve as the main point of contact for these assigned donors to help deepen their relationship and increase their support for the American Red Cross. [Note: This time allocation can be adjusted depending on local circumstances, but at least thirty percent of time should be reserved for management of the Associate’s own portfolio.]
1. Provides support (e.g., scheduling appointments, drafting correspondence, conducting basic research, preparing solicitation materials, and implementing donor recognition activities) to MGOs, enabling them to increase the percentage of their time spent interacting with current and prospective donors.
2) Manages a portfolio of current and prospective donors, with a minimum annual fundraising goal of $100,000 for the current fiscal year as specified in performance standards, including both renewable gifts and new incremental revenue.
3) Implements programs/activities to identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward donors targeted at the $1,000 level or higher, with an emphasis on maximizing revenue for the American Red Cross, [if appropriate] using Red Cross annual giving programs.
4) Personally solicits assigned donor portfolio, including preparation of personalized materials when needed.
5) Develops and executes ongoing strategy for qualifying suspects and moving them to prospect status using tools such as small cultivation events, research, and community networking.
6) Coordinates activities related to the planning, organization, implementation, and follow-up for major gift cultivation and stewardship events.
7) Ensures that all gifts from donors in the Associate’s portfolio and MGOs’ portfolios are received, recorded and acknowledged in accordance with American Red Cross policies and procedures.
8) Participates in disaster relief fundraising projects as appropriate.
9) Updates donor records in region and/or chapter database and Salesforce.com following donor contacts.
10) Assists in other financial development projects as assigned.
11) It is the responsibility of all Red Cross staff members to recruit, train and work with volunteers and to treat all clients, volunteers, guests, and other employees in a courteous and respectful manner at all times while maintaining a cooperative atmosphere for everyone. It is expected that each member of the regional management team to work with a volunteer counterpart to ensure key volunteers are utilized and ensure depth within the function.
12) Carries out any additional assignments required to fulfill the Mission of the American Red Cross.
Regular and significant contact with the Region’s Major Gifts Officers, Regional Chief Development Officer, and other members of the Regional Development team.
SCOPE: Job level TBD.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer M/F/D/V
Education: Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent experience) required.
Experience: Minimum one year experience in a fundraising or sales environment required. Experience with donor database management and systems highly desirable.
Related Skills: Ability to relate well and work effectively with multiple constituencies and audiences. Excellent verbal and written skills, including strict attention to detail. Strong multi-tasking and problem-solving skills. A team player committed to developing and working within a collaborative environment and to ensuring the highest customer service orientation. Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and perform under tight deadlines. Knowledge of office systems: MS-Office preferred and fundraising database systems.
This position requires a limited amount of travel within the region. The amount will vary depending upon the size and geography of the region.
The American Red Cross is where people mobilize to help their neighbors—down the street, across the country, and around the...