EVault, A Seagate Company, is a fast-growing industry leader in network-based data backup and recovery solutions. We’ve been providing data protection and professional-grade storage solutions to small and mid-size businesses since 1997. Our technology platform is stable, secure, and optimized for WAN data transfer, and our recovery capabilities are ultra-reliable. We back it all with a rock-solid data center infrastructure and the industry's highest quality customer service, while encouraging innovation and creativity by providing a casual and friendly work environment.
EVault is led by a team of storage industry veterans with a compelling vision and a proven track record. We also benefit from the backing and expertise of our parent company, Seagate—the largest storage company in the world.
The Linux Administrator’s role is to design, install, administer, and optimize company servers and related components to achieve high performance of the various business applications supported by tuning the servers as necessary. This includes ensuring the availability of client/server applications, configuring all new implementations, and developing processes and procedures for ongoing management of the server environment. Where applicable, the Linux Administrator will assist in overseeing the physical security, integrity, and safety of the servers.
Strategy & Planning
- Participate in and support capacity planning and the development of long-term strategic goals for Linux systems and software in conjunction with business needs.
- Act as project lead in the design and review of new server systems, applications, and hardware; conduct capacity planning as needed.
Acquisition & Deployment
- Conduct research on server hardware, software, and protocols in support of procurement and development efforts.
- Implement policies, procedures, and technologies (including firewalls) to ensure Linux system security through secure system access, monitoring, control, and routine security evaluations.
- Perform standard configuration, management, and maintenance tasks for related file systems, input/output systems, networking, clustering, storage, and applications
- Perform and test system configuration backups and restores to ensure system recovery from error or outage.
- Review and deploy Linux system releases and vendor-supplied patches according to best practices
- Serve as cornerstone for escalating server issues; provide timely response to customer escalations.
- Establish and implement policies, procedures, and technologies to ensure server security.
- Demonstrating the ability to diagnose complex customer application issues and provide quick and accurate solutions within a collaborative environment.
- Taking ownership of issues from identification through resolution
- Monitor and test system performance and provide performance statistics and reports.
- Create shell scripts as required.
- Recommend and execute modifications to server environment in order to improve efficiency, reliability, and performance.
- Develop and maintain training materials and server documentation.
Formal Education & Certification
- University degree in the field of computer science or management information systems or a related discipline.
Knowledge & Experience
- At least four years’ equivalent work experience in a technical analytical position responsible for managing large server environments.
- Strong Linux Administration including application and network troubleshooting
- Knowledge of bash and perl shell scripting.
- Experience with managing Open Source software
- Python, Perl, and Ruby experience
- OpenStack experience is a plus
- Chef experience
EVault, A Seagate Company, is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce.
- Willing to take part in 24h on-call
- Quick learner
- Strong understanding of the organization’s goals and objectives.
- Good written and oral communication skills; good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to conduct research into server issues and products as required.
- Ability to present ideas in business-friendly and user-friendly language.
- Highly self motivated and directed, with keen attention to detail.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to effectively prioritize tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.