From Paul Revere's lantern to sophisticated global networks today! Hanscom Air Force Base outside of Boston, MA is home to several dynamic organizations with the important mission of providing the latest in command, control, and information systems for the Air Force, the Department of Defense and America's allies.
Joining our team will give you access to some of the nation's best academic, cultural, and historical resources, while providing a vital service to our nation's armed forces.
This announcement will result in a 90-day register which may be used to fill vacancies for 90 days after the closing date of this announcement. Referrals may be made as vacancies occur.
Position Summary : The primary purpose of this position is to plan and perform a wide variety of gardening and grounds maintenance duties. The position requires the use of motor vehicles.
Position Location: Department of the Air Force, Air Force Materiel Command, Air Force Life Cycle Management Center, Hanscom AFB OL, 66 Air Base Group, Civil Engineering (66 ABG/CEA), Hanscom AFB, MA. KEY REQUIREMENTS
U.S. citizenship required
Position to be filled through Delegated Examining Authority
Travel expenses may or may not be paid
Recruitment and relocation incentives may or may not be used
Must be able to obtain and maintain appropriate security clearance
Must possess a current valid driver's license DUTIES:
- Plans and carries out gardening work based on project plans, master landscape, and long-range plans, making independent judgments within the framework of good gardening practices.
- Performs grounds maintenance to trees, shrubs, plants, flowers and lawns, taking into consideration the individual needs and/or characteristics.
- Uses and maintains a variety of hand and power operated garden tools and equipment, such as seeders, spreaders, edgers, hedge trimmers, pruning shears, sprayers, spades, hoes, rakes, and mowers.
- Operates a variety of gasoline, diesel, or electric powered wheeled vehicles, such as platform trucks, van trucks, stake trucks, or dump trucks, which typically have a gross vehicle weight (GVW) or more than 10,000 and up to 26,000 pounds.
- Utilizes safety practices and procedures following established safety rules and regulations and maintains a safe and clean work environment.
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS: No specific length of experience is required. However you must be able to demonstrate that you have the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities gained through training and/or experience to perform the duties described above. Applicants who meet the basic qualification requirements will be further evaluated according to the degree to which they possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities described in the Job Elements. Address each question in the questionnaire. Failure to fill out the questionnaire will result in disqualification.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs): Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the following areas:
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE : Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
- Knowledge of plants and gardening procedures routinely used in the local area to decide when and which method to use in seasonal gardening tasks, such as standard fertilizing practices, preparing seedbeds, transplanting, laying sod, aerating, pruning, trimming, and applying chemicals to different varieties of plants without causing damage; and regular and recurri9ng seasonal maintenance practices sufficient to perform such duties as mowing grass, watering, trimming trees and shrubs, etc.
- Knowledge of safety practices and procedures including traffic and safety regulations, practices, and procedures pertaining to motor vehicle operation, cargo handling and load hauling.
- Skill in using and maintaining hand and power tools, such as seeders, spreaders, edgers, hedge trimmers, pruning shears, sprayers, spades, hoes, rakes, and mowers.
- Skill in operating one or more gasoline, diesel, or electric powered wheeled vehicles with a GVW of more than 10,000 and up to 26,000 pounds such as platform trucks, van trucks, stake trucks, jump trucks, passenger vans, shuttle buses, and cargo vans; performing preventive maintenance on any vehicle operated; and handling and hauling cargo (while safeguarding and protecting the cargo).
- Ability to operate power boilers that produce steam or high temperature hot water; perform preventive maintenance and various operation repairs on them without more than normal supervision; and operate auxiliary equipment and pollution control equipment.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT/OTHER SIGNIFICANT FACTS :
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
- Hanscom AFB is located in a high cost of living area.
- Work may require travel away from the normal duty station.
- The work requires the employee to drive a motor vehicle. An appropriate valid drivers license is required.
- This may be a Testing Designated Position. The incumbent may be subject to pre-employment drug testing as a condition of employment and participation in random drug testing.
- May be required to train/guide other employees.
- The employee may be required to work other than normal duty hours, which may include evenings, weekends, and/or holidays. May be required to serve on call and may be required to be available after duty hours when problems arise. The incumbent is subject to call seven days a week, 24 hours a day.
- Employee may be required to support base readiness and emergency operations exercises and real world threats and events.
- Employee may be required to support special events (i.e., annual air show, base exercises) not necessarily performing in their primary skill code.
- Employee may be required to augment the Civil Engineering snow removal team not necessarily performing in their primary skill code. Employee would be trained on safe snow removal practice and would receive appropriate safety equipment.
- The work may require the employee to carry an electronic beeper or cell phone.
- Physical Effort: Work requires frequent walking, standing, pushing of carts and wheelbarrows, bending, and stooping, climbing ladders, and stretching to reach tree limbs. The gardener frequently lifts heavy objects, such as bags of fertilizer and grass seed. Motor vehicle operators at this level require greater physical effort to maneuver the longer and heavier vehicles, especially when backing these vehicles. Operators reach, bend, turn, or move hands, arms, feet, and legs to operate hand and foot controls. Moderate physical effort may be required in making couplings between the vehicle and towed equipment because safety chains, towbars, and hooks must be lifted and properly secured.
- Working Conditions: Work is done outside or in a greenhouse. In working outside, the gardener is subject to discomfort from long periods in the hot sun, and sometimes to c hilly or rainy weather. Exposed to dirt, dust, mud, and frequently to chemical sprays and dusts, may wear protective clothing such as gloves, safety shoes, and boots. There is a chance of minor injuries such as bruises, cuts, and scrapes, and occasional possibility of broken bones from falls. Motor vehicle operators work mostly outside and operate vehicles in all kinds of weather throughout a government installation. Exposed to dirt and fumes, and to the possibility of cuts, bruises, and broken bones as a result of accidents while driving or from falling objects when loading and unloading the vehicle.
NOTE REGARDING BASIS OF RATING: The numeric rating you receive is based on YOUR responses to the questionnaire. The score is a measure of the degree to which your background matches the specialized experience, education requirements (if applicable), and knowledge, skills and abilities required of this position. If after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience; your score may be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating.
BASIS OF RATING: Your application will be rated under Category Rating procedures based on the extent to which your experience in your resume meet the KSAs required for the position. If you meet the basic qualification requirements for the position, your application will be assessed and placed into one of the following quality categories: Best Qualified, Highly Qualified, or Qualified. For more information on Category Rating. Click here . BENEFITS:
Benefits of Working for the Federal Government - click here for an overview of the benefits currently offered to Federal employees. OTHER INFORMATION:
Males born after 31 December 1959 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service. For additional information, click here .
MILITARY SPOUSE PREFERENCE (MSP): Click here for specific program requirements.
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) : For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible click here . To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employment must be rated at 90 or above on the rating criteria for this position.
Reemployment Annuitant: Applicants in receipt of an annuity based on civilian employment in the Federal Service are subject to the DoD Policy on The Employment of Annuitants. Click here for more information.
usajobs.gov - 13 months ago
The mission of the United States Air Force is to fly, fight and win...in air, space and cyberspace. To achieve that mission, the Air Force...