The Assistant General Counsel – Labor and Employment - position will provide support, legal counsel, and advice on all employment related matters for US and International employees and will manage (through outside counsel) employment related litigation, class actions and charges internationally. This position will report to the Associate General Counsel – Labor and Employment.
- JD from an accredited top-tier law school.
- Seven (7) - Twelve (12) years experience. Must have recent in-house experience. Must be a member in good standing of a State Bar.
- Specialization required in employment law, including but not limited to litigation experience with Title VII, FMLA, ADA, ADEA, FLSA, WARN, PDA, USERRA, and workers' compensation retaliation.
- Experience necessary in all areas of litigation, preparing position statements in response to charges filed with the EEOC and State agencies, taking of depositions, handling mediations, appearing and arguing in court and before ALJs and arbitrators, the drafting of dispositive motions, preparing witnesses, and jury trial experience. Human Resource and Compliance experience with traditional labor and NLRB matters is helpful.
- Experience providing balanced counsel to HR and business professionals as well as top level executives on labor and employment matters.
- Experience training (both live and via webinar) regarding Human employment law principles and best practices is essential.
- Prior Management experience preferred.
- Solid presentation skills; ability to provide legal information to a wide variety of people.
- Proven background in understanding legal issues and/or risk and providing consultative advice to internal clients.
- Ability to take a balanced viewpoint when making decisions on risk and reward.
- Successful at pushing back with internal clients while maintaining a solid long-term relationship.
- Experience with California employment laws helpful.
- Exposure to employment issues in Canada, Puerto Rico, Asia and Mexico helpful.
- Experience with reductions in force, acquisitions and divestitures, policy drafting and review, and non-competition issues.
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) highly preferred.
- Team Orientated essential.
- Managing class actions, single plaintiff employment litigation, and charges throughout the United States and internationally. Directing strategy and work of outside counsel.
- Providing legal counsel and advice to human resources professionals, operations, and Company executives.
- Representing the Company in mediations.
- Training supervisors and human resources professionals on litigation avoidance and other employment related legal matters..
- Supervising outside counsel in the handling of labor arbitrations, charges of unfair labor practices filed with the NLRB and providing counsel regarding compliance with NLRB opinions applicable to the union and non-union environments.
- Providing subject matter expertise to the business and the HR Compliance group about legal requirements of existing and emerging employment laws at the federal, state and local levels.
- Managing a paralegal and possibly junior L & E attorney from a performance, growth and developmental perspective.
- Providing risk assessments relating to strategic initiatives undertaken by operations and human resources professionals from an employment law perspective.
Ryder is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and Drug Free workplace.
Ryder - 22 months ago
copy to clipboard
Ryder System, Inc. is a FORTUNE® 500 provider of leading-edge transportation, logistics and supply chain management solutions. Ryder's...