The Programmer Analyst (Systems Administrator) ensures the proper operation and integrity of all UNIX-based Information Technology Services’ enterprise systems and servers. This position will provide: architecting, engineering, implementation, and maintenance of mission critical enterprise systems and servers; installation, configuration and support of hardware and software relative to maintaining a stable and reliable computing environment.
Day-to-day responsibilities will involve monitoring, administration, patching, updating, securing and general maintenance of UNIX-based including Sun Microsystems Solaris and Oracle Enterprise Linux systems and servers while providing backend assistance for support personnel.
Other responsibilities include administration of web servers, databases, monitoring software and systems, enterprise network storage, and VMware vSphere. Candidates must demonstrate a clear proficiency in UNIX system administration, system troubleshooting, internetworking, storage devices, and subsystem maintenance, and a strong knowledge of web servers, databases, network protocols & internetworking, and high availability and fault tolerant environments. The Systems Administrator will also focus on documentation, troubleshooting and providing rapid problem resolution.
- Server administration adhering to defined policies for reliable, stable, and maintainable systems;
- System and subsystem management including operating system and supporting application installation, configuration, patching, security, and interoperability;
- System and network services monitoring and analysis of system event logging;
- Hardware and software problem isolation and problem resolution including initiating and coordinating vendor contracted service requests;
- System status reporting and dissemination of critical information impacting daily system and network operations;
- Develop and maintain system support programming and subsystem language script writing;
- Develop procedures for implementation and deployment of system upgrades and enhancements;
- Manage and enhance daily system backups and system restoration procedures;
- Coordinate necessary system functions with other State University of New York support agencies and outside groups.
Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate discipline and six (6) months of UNIX based server administration or Associate’s degree in an appropriate discipline with a minimum of three (3) years of professional UNIX-based server administration, required. Must demonstrate outstanding written communication skills with the ability to successfully work collaboratively in a complex and challenging IT environment. Must have the technical expertise to work independently and research information technology issues. A focus on user support is paramount.
Required knowledge, skills and abilities:
Preferred and desired skills include :
- Good working knowledge of mail, web, FTP, CAS, DNS, DHCP and shell servers, and related products on UNIX-based platforms;
- Server administration experience with UNIX-based (including Oracle Enterprise Linux, SUN/Solaris) systems;
- UNIX programming experience including Perl, SQL, and UNIX shell scripting;
- Working knowledge of TCP/IP networking and related products;
- Experience with network attached and enterprise storage systems and subsystems; and
- Experience in computer technical support environments;
- Experience of enterprise storage administration, Perl and UNIX shell programming, virtualization platforms and architectures, Windows server administration.
- Installation, management, and configuration of services that include: DHCP, DNS, SNMP, SMTP, NTP, SSH, SMB Samba, network storage, web servers, LDAP, NAS & SAN, Network Printing, network monitoring, CAS, iptables, Oracle Enterprise Linux, and MySQL.
SUNY Institute of Technology - 18 months ago