***IU Employees Only***
The IU Police Department is seeking a Public Safety Telecommunicator on the IUPUI campus. This position will receive and send computer, radio and telephone messages to law enforcement personnel and other individuals both on and off campus. Maintains radio/telephone communications data, briefs others concerning need-to-know information related to their duties, and conducts periodic status checks on critical communication room equipment. Conducts inquiries into state and national communications networks, files paper and or computerized reports, and maintains an orderly and clean working environment. The successful candidate will perform all of these duties in a firm, courteous, and respectful manner while dealing persons of various cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds under difficult circumstances; and schedule may experience overtime or the need to work multiple shifts.
Primary Responsibilities include:
• Answer all emergency and non-emergency telephone lines. Receive, interpret and disseminate all calls in order of priority. Reduce rambling and disconnected material into concise and accurate messages and determine response requirements.
• Dispatch police, security and cadet units in response to emergency and non-emergency complaints and calls for service. Dispatch fire protection units to emergency calls for service.
• Check status of the police and security officers on assignment.
• Record all calls for service by logging the times, location and other pertinent information into CAD (Computer Aided Dispatch).
• Access, retrieve and enter information for multiple computer systems including: National Crime Information Center (NCIC), Indiana Data and Communications System (IDACS), Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV), Tiburon which is tied to the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department, JUSTIS which includes the Marion County Jail Records, Marion County Courts and Prosecutor’s Office and INCITE.
• Monitor multiple radio frequencies including IMPD downtown district and IFD and relay pertinent information to police personnel and/or campus operator.
• Monitor approximately 200 alarms on the dnaFusion , Spectronics and Radiation computer systems. Dispatch units in accordance with department policy.
• Train and monitor the progress of newly hired dispatchers and cadet officers.
• Make proper notifications to administrative personnel on unusual incidents or major police matters as prescribed in the department policy.
• Communicate professionally with outside agencies for services such as and EMS, wrecker services, City and County agencies for service and repairs such as traffic lights and power outages. Communicate professionally with other University departments.
• Maintain files of information relating to radio logs, maintenance logs, trespass lists, security logs, case book, IDACS messages, IDACS entries and towed vehicle logs. Assign case numbers as requested.
• Operate and monitor the Milestone Camera systems and playback video as requested by officers and investigations.
• Operate and monitor the dnaFusion Card Access System to lock and unlock campus buildings.
• Process requests for information available through the Communications section for field units. Know the purpose and location of all books, logs and manuals located in the Communications Center. Retrieve information from various manuals to relay to the officers and public, i.e. street guides, city and suburban directories, community resource handbook and hazardous material handbook.
• Monitor computer printouts from multiple computer systems for messages of pertinent information for dissemination to police personnel.
• Attend training that will enhance and keep the Telecommunicator abreast on communication and dispatching skills.
• Perform other duties as assigned by the Chief of Police or his designee.
Required: High school diploma or GED plus 1 year communications, switchboard, or dispatching experience.
Indiana University - 22 months ago