The Senior Scientist - Research evaluates and conducts literature research, and assists with conducting clinical studies that lead to the development of new or improved USANA products, and provides technical support for other R&D functions and other departments.
• Responsible for selected new product research and development projects with emphasis on the early steps of ideation, concept development, ingredient selection, testing (incl. safety and efficacy), and providing assistance for the later product development steps of formulation work, pilot runs, quality, package engineering and manufacturing hand-off.
• Search scientific and related literature for novel ingredients, product concepts and product programs that address relevant health conditions in target populations, and make recommendations for ingredients, concepts, and programs meeting corporate business objectives.
• Develop innovative ideas with intellectual property (patents, trade secrets) useful to USANA.
• Interpret data and generate technical reports for internal use, including internal study reports.
• Claims development and substantiation: Creatively develops technical marketing claims for relevant new products and provides scientifically balanced substantiation based on credible published and internal research studies. Collaborates with USANA’s Scientific & Clinical Affairs group to assist with claims substantiation.
• Establish/maintain relationships with raw material suppliers, esp. to identify new ingredients and technologies for USANA. Interact with USANA’s Product Development and Purchasing staff as needed. Attend relevant supplier trade shows and meetings.
• Help manage intra- and extramural safety and efficacy studies (in vitro, in vivo and human studies) in collaboration with USANA’s Scientific and Clinical Affairs group.
• Technical support for Legal/Regulatory, Sales and Marketing related to new products. Assist other departments with technical sales presentations, videos and audio recordings. May involve domestic and international travel.
• Development of technical manuscripts and submissions to peer reviewed scientific journals leading to publication.
• Commitment to work well independently, to take initiatives in achieving results, and to collaborate and communicate well within and across departments.
• Awareness of manufacturing operations, GMPs and QA/QC issues.
•Other duties as assigned.
• Ph.D. in Nutrition, Nutritional Biochemistry or closely related field.
• Must be passionate about staying abreast of the latest research in nutrition, and how to apply the research to scientifically advanced, medically sound new product opportunities.
• Experience in the nutritional, dietary supplement, medical food, or functional food industry highly desirable but not required.
• Must have excellent communication, writing and presentation skills.
• Must be able to multitask; some project management experience desirable.
• Must be analytical, detail oriented, efficient & organized.
• Must have a sense of urgency to timing and key issues.
• Must work well with others.
Salt Lake City
Open Until Filled
*Salary Disclaimer - The salary listed is a minimum
only or refers
to an internal grade. Final salary is commensurate with related skills, education, experience
abilities and will be determined in the interview.
USANA Health Services - 23 months ago
copy to clipboard
USANA Health Sciences is one of America’s leading companies in the field of health and nutrition. USANA helps improve the lives of...