The VOIP Engineer will engineer, develop, and provide support of VoIP network infrastructure, products, and service delivery. Function as subject matter expert for voice, VoIP, and signaling, providing expertise to various internal functions on circuit and soft-switch technologies.
Telecommunications and Network Manager
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES :
1. Analyze and troubleshoot integration of VoIP products through lab testing and initial field trials to evaluate technology and its deployment feasibility.
2. Communicate with IT to ensure complete, accurate understanding of network architectures and to identify potential issues.
3. Maintain current in-depth knowledge:
4. Implement planned capabilities of solutions architected by Network Technology department
5. Industry trends and regulatory reports and orders to determine potential impact on voice switching
6. Support software application and equipment vendors (Asterisk, LinPhone, Cisco)
7. Ongoing voice and VoIP protocols and standards (SIP, SIP-I/T, MGCP, RTP/RTCP, ISDN, CAS, ISUP, SS7)
8. Comprehend and adhere to switch hardware traffic thresholds, port/equipped engineering principles, and company engineering/assigning/inventory standards on each switch platform.
9. Influence future direction of available applications and voice and signaling equipment by collaborating with Network Technology department regarding capabilities, features, and architectural alternatives.
10. Contribute, test (as applicable), and disseminate technical documentation, such as procedures for engineering driven changes, deployment standards, network and call flow diagrams, IP addressing, software installation procedures, engineering change orders, and policy updates notices. Maintains department Wiki pages with documentation.
11. Understand and participates in equipment inventory process.
12. Ensure appropriate tools are identified and implemented for switch feature utilization tracking, capacity planning, and accurate billing.
1. 2-3 years experience in telecommunications service for a medium to large enterprise converged voice / data networks performing hands-on engineering of voice and signaling platforms, including:
2. IP PBX configuration, call routing & translations, and SIP trunking implementations with Avaya, Asterisk, Cisco Call Manager.
3. Cisco VoIP platforms, architectures, configurations, translations, and troubleshooting.
4. Configuration of layer 2/layer 3 switching & routing networks supporting VoIP architectures.
5. Multi-vendor VoIP system integration and implementation.
6. VoIP/Voice applications (e.g., IP Centrex, hosted PBX, conferencing, voicemail, unified messaging) and their integration into legacy TDM switch and softswitch environments highly desirable.
7. Excellent oral and written communication and organizational skills necessary to influence and negotiate both internally and externally, and often at higher levels.
1. TDM and VoIP switch concepts, technologies, protocols and standards (e.g. SIP, SIP-I/T, MGCP, H.323, RTP/RTCP, ISDN, CAS, CCS and interconnection trunking).
2. User level knowledge of Linux OS system commands, with familiarity of UNIX based applications and DNS, SMTP, NFS, etc.
3. IP and Ethernet routing and switching protocols including IP, MPLS, OSPF, BGP, HSRP, IPSec, VLANs, VPNs, Spanning Tree, 802.1q trunking, and Class of Service standards.
1. Building, testing and troubleshooting networks supporting VoIP and application server communications.
3. Analytical thought needed to resolve issues and develop innovate solutions in a variety of complex situations.
4. Work cooperatively with internal and external partners to expeditiously drive project initiatives, and remove barriers that may impact company operations.
5. Able to maintain current knowledge of technologies.
6. Able to learn new systems and applications quickly and with little to no formal training.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS :
1. BS degree in Computer Science or equivalent combination of applicable education/experience. Industry certification
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk; use hands and fingers to operate, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Some travel (car/airplane) travel will be required between the company’s location in multiple cities and states.
Qualfon is a global provider of contact center, back-office, and business process outsourcing (BPO) services. We offer a full suite of...