Product Development Engineer/Sr. Product Development Engineer
Coordinates and implements the development, design and documentation for manufacture of new and improved disposable surgical devices or related medical products. Plans and coordinates activities of Product Development Engineers, Product Designers, Draftsmen, Technicians and other cross-functional resources assigned to the product development project team.
Summary of Position with General Responsibilities:
- Co-partner with Marketing to identify and develop new product concepts and determine feasibility.
- On a total project management responsibility basis, plans, implements and/or supervise the development and design of new medical devices or improves the existing product line.
- Determines design objectives and assures design meets program objectives.
- Responsible for managing project schedules.
- Contact with the prototype development lab and outside shops for fabrication of prototype molds, tooling and prototype product components and assembly.
- Supervises in-house personnel or outside shops in assembly of prototype products for clinical evaluation and field-testing.
- Works concurrently with Manufacturing Engineering, Manufacturing and Quality Engineering groups in starting up production of new and improved products.
- Schedules and conducts Product Design Review meetings and ensures successful Design verification and validation testing.
- Make recommendations and assists Manufacturing Engineering groups in selecting equipment and developing processes for manufacturing new and improved products.
- Researches outside market for information on new materials and processes related to the design and the improvement of the Davol product lines.
- Responsible for reviewing and analyzing costs, on a continuing basis, in order to identify, plan and implement cost improvements; participate in Davol’s Cost Management Program as assigned.
Additional Desirable Qualifications Skills and Knowledge:
- BS Mechanical Engineering or Biomedical Engineering
- Minimum of 3 years relevant experience as Product Development Engineer, Biomedical Engineer or Product Design Engineer in surgical medical products or related industry.
- Proven technical leadership experience on new product development projects and product improvement projects.
- Ability to travel 10%.
MS Mechanical Engineering or Biomedical Engineering Degree preferred.
Background and knowledge of all Machine Shop practices, plastic molding and forming equipment and plastic component assembly techniques preferred.
Background and knowledge of test method development preferred.
C. R. Bard is no upstart in the world of medical devices. The company has been in the business for more than a century and introduced the...