World Learning is seeking candidates for a Writer/Editor position. World Learning is an 80-year-old global non-profit organization with operations in 77 countries. Through its award-winning international education programs – The Experiment in International Living (EIL), the SIT Graduate Institute, SIT Study Abroad and the International Honors Program (IHP) – World Learning fosters global citizenship by connecting over 3,000 young ambassadors annually across cultural differences and social barriers. Through its International Development & Exchange Programs, World Learning practices what it teaches, undertaking community-driven international development, training and exchange projects in sixteen countries. For more information visit www.worldlearning.org
Location: Washington, DC
Reports to: Director of Communications
General The main responsibility of the Writer/Editor is to write, edit, proofread for accuracy of content, effectiveness of message, and consistency of style in close coordination and collaboration with the Communications team. The Writer/Editor will provide editorial support to advance the work of a number of internal clients including the President’s Office, Advancement, and International Development and Exchange Programs (IDEP). This position reports to the Director of Communications and is based in Washington, DC. The Writer/Editor creates and copyedits web and print platform content consistent with World Learning’s mission and values as well as works with a variety of written source material and internal teams to enhance existing content.
• Create content and provide editorial support for a variety of communication materials including promotional material such as ads, posters, and postcards, taglines, radio scripts, and photo captions, blogs, feature stories, new or existing web pages and social media campaigns;
• Support the Digital Communications Director in managing workflow of content for website, blogs, and social media;
• Proofread and fact check a variety of print and digital communications products including marketing publications, website text, internal and external communications, and other content as it is developed with the goal of ensuring accuracy, clarity, grammatical correctness and a high level of quality and consistency for both internal and external audiences;
• Update institutional style guide as needed;
• Provide editorial guidance and mentoring to junior staff engaged in producing monthly external and internal newsletters. Ensure final copy is concise, consistent, and compelling;
• Contribute original reporting and writing as needed;
• Manage multiple projects to meet scheduled deadlines;
• Perform other duties relevant to position as assigned.
• 3+ years of professional writing and editorial experience, including editing, proofreading, advertising copy and writing for the Web and social media;
• Demonstrated ability to write and edit effectively for both a general audience as well as academia and international development professionals;
• Demonstrated ability to write creative headlines and tease copy;
• Excellent overall written and verbal communication skills;
• Experience in editing and proofreading print and online content;
• Excellent organizational skills and proven ability to manage workflow involving multiple projects and deadlines;
• Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment;
• International and intercultural awareness and experience;
• Proficiency in major Microsoft Office applications and advanced proficiency in Microsoft Word;
• Ability to read, speak and write fluently in English;
• Exceptional attention to detail;
• Must have strong working knowledge of Chicago Style editing;
• Must be able to quickly learn World Learning style rules.
• Certificate in copyediting is preferred;
• Experience working with higher education and/or international programs and their audiences is preferred;
• Experience writing for donors, US government funders and international audiences a plus;
• Knowledge of AP style editing is preferred;
• Personal study abroad and/or other meaningful international or intercultural experiences are a plus.
Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or related area is required or additional equivalent experience;