Corporate Process Development (CPD), located at the Experimental Station (ESL), is a part of the DuPont Center for Process Innovation (DCPI) with a mission to provide high-quality process development and market development services to CR&D and participating DuPont businesses. The principal goal is to build process knowledge through well designed experimentation and to summarize the acquired data into technology transfer documents for our customer. CPD strives to provide excellent service and quality at a competitive cost.
The CPD group is composed of experienced chemical engineers, chemists, technologists, and technicians who are broadly skilled in process scale-up and development. This team has access to a broad range of custom built pilot scale chemical processing operations and is capable of safely processing a wide range of materials including highly hazardous material. Although the principal function of CPD is process development, the group supports small lot production for market launch initiatives particularly in the transition period between process development and customer transition of product to full commercial scale.
- An engineer in DCPI is expected to provide support for various R&D projects and small lot manufacturing products processed through CPD facilities. General responsibilities include:
- Understanding of chemical process synthesis to effectively discuss process development needs with customers who tend to be PhD chemists.
- Ability to discern safety implications and concerns with each specific process development opportunity
- Skilled in translating customer expressed requirements for large projects and medium sized jobs into organized project management proposals.
- Prepare process hazard analyses (PHAs) for new process needs and coordinate management of change (MOC) documentation as needed to maintain compliant documentation. Committed to and capable in developing necessary process safety documentation to describe and ultimately gain management approval to proceed with plan.
- Capable of collecting customer requirements and translating these into an effective and thorough process & instrumentation diagram. Skilled in tracing field assembled piping systems against documented drawings.
- Skilled in equipment selection, sizing, and re-purposing to prepare an effective and cost competitive process design.
- Able to assist maintenance and construction crafts personnel as well as area technologists in designing & building processes from scales sized for chemical fume hoods to walk-in ventilated enclosures for larger pilot scale processes.
- Skilled in developing thorough operating instructions to sufficiently describe process steps required of each planned experimental design.
- Trained in statistical experimental design such as Six Sigma; utilizes statistical approach to designing experimentation and in evaluating results.
- Possesses effective shop floor engineering talents capable of succinctly communicating processing plans with technicians and efficiently addressing questions, concerns, and/or requests for technical direction.
- Committed to shop floor time needed to completely understand nuisances of experimental processing to properly and effectively make adjustments to future experimental plans.
- Working knowledge of analytical test equipment and methods necessary to characterize materials produced through processes within assigned area of responsibility.
- Capable in evaluating process data and developing technology transfer documentation to meet customer scale up requirements. Prepare scientific and technical documentation in the form of summary reports for completed R&D project campaigns/batches for customers.
- Capable of troubleshooting & resolving process issues for specific areas of assigned responsibility.
- Understand product stewardship, intellectual property, hazardous waste management, and consent order documentation requirements with in work area and apply appropriately to projects.
- Resource and/or participate in incident investigations (II) and unexpected event (UE) investigations for all situations occurring within assigned area of technical responsibility; close all open recommendations assigned through investigations.
- Participate as PSM committee member
Minimum Skills Required:
DuPont is a global Fortune 100 company, operating in 70 countries today. We are looking for people who have a passion for delivering innovative, sustainable solutions that meet our customer needs for a better, healthier, safer life.
- B.S, M.S., or PhD degree in Chemical or Mechanical Engineering.
- Familiarity with the operation of pilot plant scale processes and related equipment.
- Experience working with highly hazardous materials such as TFE and HF preferred. Having both Operations and R&D experience is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain and promote a safe working environment and strong background in PSM and PHR technologies.
- Ability to innovate in an engineering mode.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively multi-task on a variety of projects.
- A very strong "can do" attitude; demonstrated strong customer focus in past assignments; demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment and to be a self-starter.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; demonstrated in communicating with management, peers, and area technicians.
DuPont offers an exciting place to work where thousands of innovations are introduced every year. You will have opportunities for growth through involvement in various dynamic industries from high-tech to high-performance; including agriculture, nutrition, electronics, communications, safety and protection, home and construction, transportation, and apparel.
At DuPont, you will find sustainability in our vision, our business and your future. If you want to work on the leading edge of your field and have a desire to make a difference, join DuPont and discover The miracles of science™.
Successful candidate will need to be able to perform the essential functions of the job with or without accommodation.
DuPont is an equal opportunity employer and an E-Verify employer.
Research & Development
North America-USA-Delaware-WILMINGTON-EXPERIMENTAL STATION WILM DE(1077)
CR&D - 0600000
Bachelor's Degree (±16 years)
Yes, 5 % of the Time
DuPont - 23 months ago
E. I. du Pont de Nemours (also known simply as DuPont) wants to coat your car, feed your crops, and decrease your dependence on fossil...