A thriving, mission-driven multimedia organization, NPR produces award-winning news, information and music programming in partnership with hundreds of independent public radio stations across the nation. NPR listeners value information, creativity, curiosity and social responsibility – our employees do too. We are innovators and leaders in diverse fields from journalism and digital media to IT and development. Every day, our employees and member stations touch the lives of millions worldwide.
Drives the daily news agenda for all NPR News products, across delivery systems. Builds collaboration and coordination across platforms on daily news coverage to develop a fully integrated newsroom. Evaluates and communicates to desks, shows, digital and Newscast all news development during the course of the day in order to ensure timely and effective coverage and decision-making for assignments. Leads editorial meetings as necessary, edits copy and stories as necessary and oversees special coverage and breaking news coverage as necessary.
Currently seeking two Deputy Managing Editor candidates to drive news excellence around the clock. Core hours for current opportunities include: Mon-Friday 6am-3pm or Thurs-Sunday 7:30am-6pm.
Essential Duties Include:
- Partners with other news leaders across NPR’s desks, shows and digital operations to direct the daily editorial process to determine coverage and assignments.
- Develops and fosters an open dialogue about coverage and challenges and encourages staff to think beyond the confines of a narrow job description
- Evaluates breaking news stories and works with news managers across all platforms to determine news priorities for NPR
- as logistics of daily coverage across all platforms to ensure coordination of subjects and editorial content
Recommends which events should be covered live and distributed to member stations
Leads editorial meetings as necessary
- Ensures that work produced by NPR News complies with NPR and professional standards for balance, fairness and accuracy
- Manages the assignment of resources, people and dollars, as part of daily news coverage but also as warranted by fast moving breaking news events
- Develop staff via performance management including: goal setting, annual appraisals, regular coaching and performance discussions
Education: Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience
- 6-8 years experience managing in news or programming organizations (in a union environment is a plus).
- Experience maintaining high journalistic standards under deadline pressure, including standards of objectivity, balance and fairness
- Demonstrated ability to generate and execute complex creative ideas and to assimilate and organize large amounts of information
- Proven ability to consistently work well with others
Critical Competencies for Success:
- Positive approach to embracing change
- Well-developed interpersonal skills, ability to get along with diverse personalities
- Results oriented with the ability to balance other business considerations
- Adept at communicating effectively across all levels of leadership while inspiring confidence
- Ability to respect input but ultimately be confident enough to take decisive action and take responsibility for said action
Does this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you.
- Experience managing resources in an integrated newsroom
- Experience working in/closely with digital operations.
- Experience working in and/or knowledge of public radio and the public radio system
- Ability and willingness to relocate
- Demonstrated experience in leading ambitious and distinctive coverage
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development. NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Do you ‘Like’ us? Follow us on Facebook at This Is NPR . You can also follow us on Twitter at @NPRjobs , as well as #NPRlife for 'behind the scenes' tweets about life at NPR from our employees.