Job Description Summary:
This position has lead responsibility for the introduction, improvement, extension, and ongoing support of a product or product line. The associated activities include supporting customers and the manufacturing organization but do not include lead responsibility for manufacturing engineering. The position reports directly to Product Engineering Management.
• Support of NPI projects as they move through the development cycle. Once the product is released, the product engineer is the primary engineering support for the product. Part of the involvement with the NPI process is to come to the level of understanding to provide this later level of support.
• Provide guidance to customers on product function and performance. The product engineer also should be able to provide design guidelines to support customer system development.
• Product development for an extension of a current product. A typical example is a customer specific unit with special testing or an extension of some portion of the operating performance from the current product. The product engineer will be responsible for generating the specification control drawing for the new product and drafting specifications to present to customers.
• Provide the first level of engineering response to production issues that cannot be managed by the manufacturing engineering staff. Provide problem solving support based on knowledge of the various subsystems and the design approach of the system. The product line meeting will be a primary source of these issues and how they will be addressed.
• Support product line team as engineering member. Coordinate all product based (as opposed to process based) engineering activities focused on the given product line. Must have strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated success working in a team environment.
• Identify opportunities and coordinate projects to improve product quality, reduce product cost, and to drive towards a reliable and lean manufacturing flow.
• Manage product changes utilizing PDM system (Agile).
• Assess impact and coordinate response to material quality issues and material source of supply issues.
Education and Work Experience
Education and Experience
• Minimum requirements include a BS degree and >
; 5 years of design and/or development engineering experience.
• LabView programming experience would be a plus.
• Basic CAD experience would be a plus.
Coherent, Inc. - 2 years ago