As a Senior Director on our Tax Services Team, you will apply your industry knowledge and experience as you work on clients of the Firm to advise them of tax implications of their business objectives, recommend alternate courses of action, as well as identify different methods of complying with tax regulations. Depending on your specific role as a Senior Director you may be recognized by the firm as an industry expert in a specialized and technical field of taxation. This senior leadership role recognizes you as an industry expert of great long term value to the firm. You are viewed as a senior part of the office's/region's Tax Services leadership team. You will be involved in direct supervision either as final reviewer or secondary reviewer under a partner, and are responsible for teaching, instructing and reviewing the work of those with less experience. You may be the main client contact for complex questions and information. You will provide and review written tax advice to clients. Depending on your specific role as a Senior Director, you may be responsible for marketing, networking and business development within your area of experience and expertise, as well as maintaining key client relationships. Other typical responsibilities will include applying your knowledge to evaluate and select alternative actions to lessen tax burden and cost of compliance, recognize and communicate potential risks, identify potential changes in the tax policy, make top-level decisions regarding filing and preparation and handle questions from federal or state agencies.
External Job Description - Essential Duties/Functions
- Ensures both that (a) clients comply with all applicable authorities, while at the same time minimizing their tax and reporting burdens, and (b) self and client service teams comply with all Firm policies, standards, and the BDO Tax Quality Manual ("TQM").
- Manages engagements to achieve engagement management metrics
- Practices hands-on client service delivery
- Responsible for overall client service by encouraging team's adherence to TQM policies (including engagement letters, documentation, etc).
ASC 740-10 (FAS 109 and FIN 48) Tax Accruals
- Identifies when research is needed; clearly and concisely frames issues to be researched; and clearly and concisely reports the analysis.
- Identifies complex issues to be researched by engagement team and provides research methodology for efficient research process
- Technical reviewers of WTAs in their area of expertise, as applicable to role
- Correctly and proactively applies Firm policies, standards, and the BDO Tax Quality Manual (TQM) regarding FAS 109 and FIN 48.
- Applies technical expertise regarding income tax provisions in the area of international tax, valuation allowance credits, business combinations, and stock based compensation issues
- Reviews and applies income tax provision efficiently
- Assists with developing, recommending, and implementing efficient and effective methods to maximize client benefits, especially by decreasing clients' current and future taxes.
- Applies expert knowledge of the process of combining tax knowledge and knowledge of business/industry to recommend solutions and maximize results in the Firm
- Applies general knowledge of multiple tax specialties (i.e. International, SALT, Estate Planning) for issue identification and resolution
- Develops an in-depth understanding of the technical and practical issues and opportunities regarding one or more areas of taxation, e.g., individual, corporate, property, sales, corporate, pass-through, state and local, international, expatriate, transfer pricing, credits and incentives, compensation and benefits, accounting methods, R&D tax benefits.
- Has expert knowledge of application of standards
- Recognized as industry expert in specialized field of taxation
- Use expertise to advise clients on tax implications and recommend alternative courses of action and identify different methods of compliance
External Job Description - Qualifications
- Introduces and develops new or improved ideas to improve the position of clients, the Firm, or Firm personnel, e.g., by reducing taxes or expenses or providing non-tax benefits.
- Depending on specific role, may be required to present complex strategies to clients and prospective clients
- Ability to supervise managers, senior and staff, as the situation dictates
- Review work prepared by associates, senior associates, and managers, and provide review comments as appropriate
- Act as a Career Advisor to associates, senior associates, and managers as assigned
- Schedule and manage workload of associates, senior associates, and managers
- Provide verbal and written performance reviews to associates, senior associates, and managers
- Other duties as required
- Possesses proven excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Possesses excellent people development and delegation skills, including training/instruction
- Possesses executive presence - needs to be able to be primary contact for the client, prepare and present presentations to clients and potential clients
- Possesses excellent client development/relationship-building skills
- Possesses excellent decision-making skills
- Has ability to create written tax advice
- Ability to supervise and review work of associates, senior associates, and managers
- Ability to develop and manage teams
- Four-year degree in Accounting
- May require MST/MBT
- 10 + years prior work experience
- Industry expertise in a tax specialty
- Prior significant supervisory experience
- Leader/strong involvement in community and business development
- Passed CPA exam (not required if other professional degree)
- Has expertise in tax compliance software including GoFileRoom, GoSystemRS, Caseware, Excel, Word, BNA Depreciation Software, Adobe, etc.; and in the use of standard tax workpapers, as required for the position
BDO USA, LLP - 3 years ago