The Database Administrator (DBA) is responsible for effective provisioning, installation/configuration, security, operation, and maintenance of all database management systems such as Oracle, MS SQL, MySQL, Access, Sybase etc.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS : To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Install and test new versions of the database management system (DBMS).
- Develop and maintain installation and configuration procedures.
- Research and recommend innovative, and where possible automated, approaches for system administration tasks. Identify approaches that leverage our resources and provide economies of scale.
- Contribute to and maintain system standards.
- Perform daily database system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups and daily data load scripts.
- Perform daily backup operations, ensuring all required file systems and system data are successfully backed up to the appropriate media, recovery tapes or disks are created, and media is recycled and sent off site as necessary.
- Perform regular log archival and purge logs as necessary.
- Create, change, and delete user accounts per request.
- Provide Tier III/other support per request from various constituencies. Investigate and troubleshoot issues.
- Repair and recover from hardware or software failures. Coordinate and communicate with impacted constituencies. Identify and escalate situations requiring urgent attention.
- Apply database patches and upgrades on a regular basis, and upgrade administrative tools and utilities. Configure / add new services as necessary.
- Perform ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required. Configure CPU, memory, and disk partitions as required.
- Install / configure third party tools required for day to day operation with database.
- Maintain operational, configuration, or other procedures.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: An undergraduate degree with a technical major such as Information Technology, MIS, or Computer Science from an accredited institution of higher learning required; minimum five years of experience working as a database administrator required; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
NECESSARY KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
LICENSING AND CERTIFICATION: Database Administration certification in Oracle / Microsoft required.
- Working knowledge of fundamental operations of relevant software, hardware and other equipment.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Learning skills.
- Customer service orientation.
- Problem analysis.
- Planning and organizing.
- Attention to detail.
- Stress tolerance and flexibility with schedule.
- Responsibilities sometimes require working evenings and weekends, sometimes with little advance notice.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee frequently is required to use hands 10 finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls and talk or hear.
Specific vision abilities required to this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT : The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
For the most part ambient room temperatures, lighting and traditional office equipment as found in a typical office environment.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.