University of California Office of the President
Requisition Number: 20120572
Appointment Type: Staff - Career
Personnel Program: PSS-Uncovered
Work Hours Monday-Friday, 8:00 am-5:00 pm
Percentage of Time: 100
Organizational Area: Information Technology Services- Shared Technology Services
Location: Oakland, CA
Posting Salary: Salary commensurate with experience
This position works within a larger Unix Engineering team performing system administration support for SuSe Linux, Solaris, and AIX operating systems. This position is primarily responsible for supporting the core IT infrastructure services of the Data Center (Digital Certificates, Managed File Transfers, Report Distribution System, etc). The role will support Service Level Agreement responsibilities with internal and external customers of all these services. Additional responsibilities include operations, planning and coordination of system maintenance and upgrades as well as providing on-call system support, as needed.
The Unix/Linux administer is expected to use professional concepts; apply department policies and procedures to resolve a variety of complex problems. Analyze complex issues where evaluation of data requires a review of a variety of factors. The administrator should also possess the ability to exercise judgment within defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate action. Has both internal and external contacts. Normally receives general instructions, with detailed instructions provided on complex new project assignments and initiatives.
Special Conditions of Employment
Other Special Conditions of Employment
Participate in operational 24x7 on call rotation
Successful completion of a background check is required for appointment to this critical position.
Special Instructions/Additional Information
Click Here for more information
To apply, please be prepared to attach your resume and cover letter as part of the application process.
Job Close Date: Open Until Filled
Infrastructure Services Support 65%
Customer Coordination, Process Improvement 35%
- Provide end user assistance and answer questions of the Managed File Transfer Service, Digital Certificates and Report Distribution System (RDS) services
- System administration: troubleshoot and correct problems that impact performance. Work on issues with vendor and ITS staff as appropriate
- Document and help develop procedures and processes necessary for supporting the infrastructure services
- Provide on-call production support for these services
- Work with customers to analyze needs and requests to define new reports.
- Make application configuration changes necessary to ensure satisfactory performance of Service Level Agreements (SLAs).
- Monitor, maintain and enhance procedures to ensure all report distributions is performed in accordance with the SLA. Take corrective action as needed to meet the SLA.
- Work with vendors to coordinate installation, upgrades and hardware changes. Evaluate new product features and make recommendations.
To apply, visit http://jobs.ucop.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=55831
- Bachelors degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training
- Demonstrated experience in systems analysis and programming on large-scale enterprise and mainframe business applications in an IBM mainframe and distributed systems environment
- 3+ years application administration/management experience with Digital Certificates, Managed File Transfers, and or equivalent services
- 5+ years of Linux/Unix administration experience
- Demonstrated experience with PERL/C++
- Has knowledge of applications programming technologies, tools and protocols.
- Demonstrates ability to assess the criticality of any production processing problem as well as take any measures necessary to ameliorate their effects
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills as demonstrated by the ability to make sound judgments and draw conclusions in a logical, systematic way, resolve complex problems and specify reasonable alternatives.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills and the ability to interact and negotiate with constituents at all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to operate under direction, develop creative solutions to problems and tackle issues in a self-motivated manner in line with the direction of the management.
Copyright ©2012 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
University of California UCOP - 19 months ago