Applications will ONLY be accepted by the Recruitment Division ONLINE beginning at 8:00 am on Thursday, September 12 until 4:30 pm on Friday, September 13, 2013. Application materials submitted at any other time or on other dates will not be accepted.
The Senior Administrative Clerk assumes independent and advanced administrative clerical responsibilities and may provide lead direction for subordinate clerical assistants. The Senior Administrative Clerk exercises a wide latitude of independent judgment to support the administration and maintenance of significant office systems and procedures. Work responsibilities require advanced skills in writing and numerical calculations and the use of a PC and Microsoft software.
Typical duties for the position include:
• Providing authoritative information, requiring the use of judgment and knowledge and interpretation of applicable rules, policies and guidelines.
• Providing lead direction to one or more clerical assistants, including scheduling, assigning and reviewing the work.
• Researching, assembling and summarizing information from a variety of sources for use by managers in reports, budget preparation, correspondence, meetings and presentations and for completion of forms.
• Organizing, processing and maintaining paper files and online document management systems including construction files (e.g. RFIs, submittals, change orders, etc.).
• Working effectively with a variety of East Bay Municipal Utility District (EBMUD) staff including field staff, technicians, engineers, inspectors and office personnel.
• Keying, checking and proofreading a variety of materials including Board documents, reports, letters, memos, forms and similar materials from rough drafts, plain or corrected copy or verbal instructions.
• Inputting and retrieving data from the computers, compiling and generating a variety of reports and documents in support of assigned functions.
• Organizing own work, setting priorities, meeting critical deadlines and coordinating multiple activities with other EBMUD units to ensure timely completion.
• Checking written materials for completion, grammatical, clerical and arithmetic accuracy and for compliance with established standards and procedures, making corrections as required.
• Performing a variety of general clerical duties such as processing electronic timesheets and payroll reports, preparing purchase orders, expense reports, periodic reports of activities and other documents and reports as necessary.
The Ideal Candidate
The most competitive candidates for positions in certain work groups will have some of the following specialized skills and experience:
• Experience with or ability to quickly learn specialized software programs and applications specific to the work unit, including web-based and web-related applications.
• Experience with or the ability to quickly learn to read and interpret engineering drawings, maps and related documents.
• Knowledge of and experience with various technical documents, including engineering and construction documents for advertisement and bidding.
• Ability to work and interact effectively with members of outside agencies as well as the general public.
• Ability to quickly learn and apply complex policies, procedures, and regulations.
The Senior Administrative Clerk position requires highly developed critical thinking, independent judgment and administrative skills. A typical means of acquiring the essential knowledge, skills and abilities is:
1) A high school diploma or its equivalent.
2) Two years of responsible, journey-level clerical experience.
3) Typing speed at a rate of at least 45 words per minute.
4) Possession of a valid California driver's license and a satisfactory driving record in order to drive to other areas and occasionally to other Oakland offices as needed.
5) Physical characteristics to perform the critical and important duties of the job.
6) Willingness to work overtime as needed.
The Selection Process:
1. Submit a completed EBMUD application and supplement online at www.ebmud.com beginning at 8:00 a.m. Thursday, September 12, through 4:30 p.m. on Friday, September 13, 2013. Only application materials submitted online during the filing period will be accepted. Application materials faxed, mailed or delivered to EBMUD will not be accepted.
2. All application materials will be evaluated, with those candidates demonstrating the strongest qualifications for the position to be invited to the written test scheduled for Sunday, September 29, 2013.
3. Candidates scoring highest on the written test will be invited to continue further in the selection process. The next step will include a panel interview, a PC keyboard test that will determine expertise with various computer applications such as MS Word and MS Excel, and a PC typing speed test, tentatively scheduled for mid-October 2013.
4. The resulting hiring list will be used to fill any immediate vacancy and any other openings that occur over the next 12 to 24 months.
Note that your employment history will be verified during this selection process, and you may be disqualified if you do not meet the job requirements or if you do not accept the work conditions.
EBMUD - 17 months ago