As a member of the hardware development team, the Sr. Mechanical Development Engineer is responsible for leading the design and development of the mechanical elements of Compute and Storage Products. This role is 75% project lead and technical management and 25% hands-on mechanical engineering involved in working out design details, and assisting with troubleshooting problems down to the piece-part level.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Project Management of a product through development, test, and into production meeting cost and schedule targets
- Work directly with System Architecture, Procurement, and Program Management in the initial quotation process to insure that requirements, schedule and cost align with product features specified
- Work directly with other technical disciplines, Electrical, Thermal, Agency Compliance, Reliability to resolve technical issues through the development of a product.
- Work directly with Manufacturing, Test, Purchasing and Quality to insure a product is of high quality, is cost effective, and is manufacturable.
- Oversee and perform reviews of specs, drawings, test plans and results.
- Insure proper simulation and analyses are being completed
- Oversee mechanical tooling activities to insure performance targets are met with lowest cost solution
- Oversee assembly and successful functional test of engineering prototypes
- Lead ME team working on your product through effective delegation of tasks both locally and globally.
- Insure product technical documentation meets high quality standards, is accurate and complete.
- Work directly with Supply Chain management to aid in the development of vendor relationships that insure the best value proposition for cost, quality, functionality, and technical support.
- Stay abreast of the latest technology and techniques to produce designs that are competitive and cost effective.
Education and Experience:
- Must have in-depth knowledge of designing enclosures to accommodate high density HDD arrays
- Must have in-depth knowledge of experience in designing cooling system design for high-impedance, high power-density systems including component placement optimisation.
- Must have in-depth knowledge of and experience in designing to minimise the effects of Rotational Vibration in high-density HDD applications and to meet performance targets of major HDD manufacturers.
- Must have in-depth knowledge of product packaging designs capable of meeting appropriate test specifications.
- Must have in-depth experience with general EVT/DVT classical testing.
- Ideally, a background in electro-mechanical products with a high volume consumer or business bias.
- Proven delivery of innovative design solutions and a ‘hands-on’ approach to solving problems
- Must have in depth experience with products that require agency approvals (UL, CE, TUV etc.).
- Experience of harsh environmental requirements; Shock and vibration, thermals, EMC, Safety
- Must possess effective written and verbal communication skills.
- BS, degree in Mechanical Engineering from accredited college or university. MS in Mechanical Engineering preferred.
- 7-10 years related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience
- At least 6 years experience in module and rack level HDD storage products successfully from design to production
- Hands-On experience designing Enterprise class HDD enclosures
- Proficiency in the use of FEA software. (SolidWorks & Pro-E Mechanica would be an advantage).
- Microsoft Office proficiency software
- Internet, network navigation, Outlook
- DFM/DFA Analysis
- Experience of at least one 3D parametric modeling platform (Autodesk Inventor would be an advantage)
- Jira or similar bug tracking system
- PlanView or similar resource management tool
- Microsoft Windows Sharepoint
- Google Docs
- International Travel
- Assisting with organizing and coordinating schedules
- Analyzing and interpreting data
- Primarily sedentary, working at a desk and on a computer workstation
- Moving lab equipment when needed, not exceeding 40 pounds
- Handling and assembling small parts to 19 inch rack sized enclosures
- Typical office environment
- 3rd floor office; elevator or stair accessible
- Domestic and international travel 1-2 times per quarter very likely, at times on short notice. Current passport and no history of declined visas, or entry refusal to any country.
Xyratex Ltd - 13 months ago
Xyratex Limited (Xyratex), is a provider of modular enterprise-class data storage solutions and storage process technology. The Company desi...