Baltimore City Public Schools seeks an innovative, visionary leader with experience in teaching, demonstrated ability to develop collaborative partnerships and a record of maintaining a balanced focus on teaching and learning environments at the Pre K-12 levels. The Executive Director will provide leadership for the Teaching and Learning Office and will partner with multiple offices to integrate curricular development and assessment as a means to support effective curricular transformation and delivery. The Executive Director will have administrative responsibility for coordinating programs and initiatives to ensure a cohesive design for program delivery and services in support of teachers throughout the district.
- Leads key bodies of instructional work such as the district's transition to Common Core State Standard.
- Provides leadership for the development, implementation, evaluation, and revision of curriculum Pre-Kindergarten to twelfth grade.
- Provides appropriate supervision, mentoring, and professional growth and development opportunities to assigned staff and teachers. Such responsibilities include staff performance reviews and the development and implementation of professional growth plans to include keeping abreast of current developments, literature, and technical sources of information.
- Assures strategies and initiatives to advance student achievement are implemented according to accreditation requirements and funding sources.
- Collaborates with teachers to determine the effectiveness of the curriculum and instruction initiatives and to implement them consistently.
- Provides direction in implementation of differentiated instruction.
- Evaluates the effectiveness of curriculum and the various instructional programs and activities.
- Collaborates with the network teams to provide instructional resources to support student achievement. Specifically, leads Academic Content Liaisons strategic work in providing professional development to schools.
- Gather and analyze information, including best practices and student performance data, to improve the content, sequence and outcomes of instructional programs.
- Provides support to staff through modeling instructional strategies, presenting demonstration lessons, coaching on effective methods and techniques, supporting educational technology instruction, and modeling classroom management techniques.
- Supports staff in developing learning strategies for inclusive practices.
- Plans and organizes professional development trainings for district staff that increase knowledge and contribute to student achievement.
- Coordinates all district wide curriculum development projects.
- Identifies, develops, secures and organizes resources to support curriculum initiatives
- Recommends and implements summer learning opportunities for all students.
- Develops and implements college and career readiness plan for the district including the coordination of Bridge projects.
- Coordinates with the Office of Achievement and Accountability in designing content assessments in addition to interim assessment.
- Works collaboratively with the Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE) on matters related to curriculum and instruction.
- Evaluates the performance of the Directors in the Teaching and Learning Office.
- Serves as a resource to the Chief Executive Officer and other members of the central office staff on matters related to teaching.
- Mentors teachers through site evaluations and provides constructive feedback and resources on ways to improve instruction.
- Works cross-functionally to analyze student achievement results and implement best practices for improvement.
- Performs and promotes all activities in compliance with equal employment and nondiscrimination policies; follows federal laws, state laws, school boards policies and the professional standards.
- Leads professional development for all academic content areas on systemic and other days throughout the year. Responsible for the continual development of the professional growth system.
- Prepares and manages a $20MM budget for the division of the Teaching and Learning Office.
- Provides professional and courteous service to all City Schools' clientele to include employees, parents, advocates, and community and agency representatives.
- Supervises, mentors, and provides professional growth and development opportunities to assigned staff.
- Meets established goals and objectives for allocated projects within designated timeframes.
- Master's degree in education or closely related field. Degree must be from an accredited college or institution
- Eligible for Maryland State Department of Education Administrator I Certificate; Assistant Superintendent endorsement preferred
- Five years of leadership experience in a public education setting
- Excellent instructional skills with a minimum of five years successful teaching experience
- Thorough knowledge of research-based school improvement designs and current issues facing urban public education
- Thorough knowledge of local, state and federal regulations pertaining to public education focusing on teaching and learning
- Experience in the development and presentation of professional development initiatives
- Knowledge of district-wide testing requirement and administration of HSA/MSA/Alt-MSA
- Demonstrated ability to analyze assessment and other student data as a means for making decisions
- Significant experience with student learning outcomes and strategies designed to improve student learning
- Demonstrated commitment to the department team concept and the overall success of the organization
- Leadership experience and success in developing and achieving organizational goals
- Thorough knowledge of assessment and achievement initiatives
- Demonstrated experience in developing school-based assessments
- Ability to generate and build effective and successful relationships
- Interpersonal skills that ensure effective team building
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient in the use of technical computer applications, including Microsoft Office.
idealist.org - 8 months ago