Assignment Editor - Full time, Non-union
* Responsible for the operation of the assignment desk during a shift
* Monitor police/fire scanners for breaking news
* Work with the Assignment Manager and Managing Editor on story ideas and coverage plans. Must be able to generate original stories and develop follow-ups.
* Update information in assignment desk I-news daybook and maintain contract lists/story files
* Develop new contacts with government agencies (city, state, federal), public relations representatives
* Responsible for dispatching and coordinating photographers and crews
* Be able to coordinate long range coverage such as political campaign coverage, election night coverage, travel—domestic or overseas,
* understanding of video distribution and be able to order the appropriate method to move video via satellite, fiber, broadband or other
*Order satellite windows and feeds
* Work with CBS News, other CBS O&Os, or station affiliates to share content
* Be able to locate CBS3 news archival material
* Familiarity with Twitter/Facebook
* ingest video from the field into Grass Valley server transfer it to a field disc
* Organizational skills and the ability to multi-task a must.
Job reports to Assignment Manager
Minimum two years assignment desk experience in major or medium market. Must be available to work weekends/nights/overnights and be able to respond to major breaking news. College degree in journalism or communications.
Minimum Education Level
journalism or communications
- 2 years ago - save job