8 am - 4:30 pm
Hours Per Pay Period
8 Hour Shift, 80 Hours Per Pay Period
Director, Clinical Informatics
Reports to the Chief Information Officer. In keeping with the Beacon Health core values, the Director, Clinical Informatics is key in supporting the organization¿s clinical transformation including assessment, evaluation, planning and implementing and supporting electronic clinical documentation and processes for patient care. Supports the electronic medical record evolution and documentation, works with stakeholders in understanding of clinical workflow and functions of clinical documentation, order entry, results retrieval, bedside medication verification, charging, systems analysis, work flow design and system design, system test and processing. Assists in establishing and monitoring quality measures and metrics and executes and manages the IT project process and governance throughout the hospital.Provides supportive leadership, plans, organizes and directs all aspects of the clinical informatics support team
Provides leadership in the planning, developing, and implementing of clinical informatics initiatives, products and services to address the clinical needs of patients and to support the practice of hospital and medical staff by:
- Provides direct strategic and operational input regarding requirements and change management to support implementation of clinical informatics initiatives.
- Providing input into the development and preparation of an annual budget for area of responsibility and managing assigned operational areas and monitoring expenditures in order to achieve goals and objectives with available resources.
- Demonstrating accountability and responsibility for daily operations for all aspects of the clinical informatics team. Plans, organizes, controls and monitors activities of the team and ensures that work is performed in compliance with IS department policies and procedures.
- Utilizes leadership skills in the hiring, orientation, training, evaluation, counseling and discharge, when necessary, of associates and ensuring performance improvement and continuing education opportunities are provided for associates.
- Assessing training and development needs of clinical informatics team in relation to clinical informatics systems, products and services.
- Provides ongoing leadership and guidance to direct reports in the area of project management and fosters the existence of a collaborative, positive work environment.
- Serving as lead resource to Information Systems leadership team in all human resource practices and decisions.
- Consulting withand serving as an interface with the BEACON clinical departments for the purpose of ensuring coordination in systems planning, development and implementation between the Enterprise Clinical Information System (ECIS), clinical informatics, and other appropriate external organizations.
- Planning, developing, and implementing of clinical informatics initiatives, products and services in conjunction with EGH Vice President of Nursing and BEACON clinical informatics, particularly to address the clinical needs of patients and to support the practice of hospital and medical staff.
- Providing leadership and coordinating the evaluation and institution of care standards as well as evidence-based practice guidelines that can be enhanced or supported by the technology.
- Conducting ongoing technology assessment of clinical information systems and products related to clinical departments while identifying and meeting patient needs, nursing governance needs and direction, and potential external collaborations.
- Conducting assessments of the clinical informatics environments, synthesizing pertinent information, and identifying implications for planning and development of both clinical services and educational programs, providing periodic structured environmental assessment and recommendations relative to future direction for ancillary clinical informatics.
- In collaboration with Nursing, Medical Staff, and IS leadership, identifying the needs of the clinical informatics system as it pertains to ancillary services for education, training, programs and services in the area of computer skills and competencies in the use of electronic tools for patient care, quality management, utilization management, clinical resource management, transformational care, and performance improvement initiatives.
- Functioning as an effective member of the IS Leadership Team, demonstrating professional behaviors of flexibility, adaptation to change, conflict resolution, respectful communication and teamwork, with a positive image and active participation in Leadership Meetings.
- Collaborating with other management and staff regarding integration issues and reporting on financial and clinical information
- Providing expert support to all clinical departments in the development of clinical informatics systems, products and services responsive to current and future needs.
- Ensuring assessment of needs and implementation of strategies, in conjunction with governance teams to link educational products including practice guidelines, to practice-based electronic medical records systems.
- Ensuring compliance with all applicable legal/regulatory requirements and organizational policies, procedures and practices. Submitting required reports to regulatory agencies or affiliations in an accurate and timely manner.
- Taking action to minimize or eliminate risk and maximize safety through the continual assessment of safety, implementing appropriate safety protocols or procedures including the immediate reporting of unsafe conditions to appropriate persons.
1. Maintains technical knowledge, skills, and competence (i.e. relevant and emerging technologies, trends and software relevant to the needs of BHS) in areas of responsibility by:
2. Contributes to the overall effectiveness and efficiency of the department by:
- Attending conferences, seminars and other related educational programs.
- Maintaining professional affiliations as appropriate.
- Reading current professional literature and journals.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Participating in (and representing the department at) various committees and task force groups.
- Completing other job-related assignments and special projects as directed.
Requires knowledge in clinical informatics and experience with healthcare information systems and medical informatics. Must be knowledgeable in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint and knowledge of fundamentals in flow charting and reengineering work flow.
Requires a high level of analytical, problem-solving, organization and project management skills toanalyze, develop and document system and interface design and requirements in coordination with user needs and other hospital staff.
Demonstrates the solid management skills needed to function independently and provide effective direction to clinical informatics associates. Also requires the ability to plan and manage the effective utilization of resources (both personnel and financial).
Demonstrates the interpersonal skills necessary to interact effectively with all levels of BHS management and staff and external contacts.
Demonstrates well-developed communication (both verbal and written), presentation and training skills.
6. Demonstrates knowledge of and a commitment to Beacon Health System¿s mission and values; and the organization¿s goal of providing exceptional patient experiences by following the Performance Essentials.
7. Requires the physical ability and stamina to perform the essential functions of the position.
The above level of knowledge, skills and abilities is normally acquired through the successful completion of a Bachelor¿s Degree in Nursing. Master¿s Degree preferred. Requires a current RN license and ten (10) years clinical nursing experience in hospital setting, three (3) years acute care experience, and experience in managing, developing and evaluating clinical informatics programs in a health care setting.
Works in an office environment.
This position requires a strong commitment to a 24 hours/day, 7 days/week computer operations environment.
May experience some mental/visual fatigue due to continued use of computer equipment.
Memorial Hospital of South Bend - 13 months ago
When you're on a fishing trip in northern Indiana and step on a rusty fishing hook or generally feel a little green around the gills,...