IDAHO ARMY NATIONAL GUARD
STATEWIDE TECHNICIAN VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
UNIT OF ASSIGNMENT: USPFO
Financial Services Technician
Appointment Type: Indefinite
PD #: D1986000
Series/Grade: GS - 0503 - 07 / 08
Salary Range: $38,790.00 - $55,844.00
*Position is contingent upon the ability to acquire and maintain a security clearance, failure to comply will be grounds for immediate termination*
*PCS is not authorized*
MEMBERSHIP IN THE ARMY NATIONAL GUARD IS REQUIRED: This is an Excepted Service position that requires membership in the Idaho Army National Guard as a condition of employment. Selectee will be required to wear the military uniform. Acceptance of an Excepted Service position constitutes concurrence with these requirements as a condition of employment. Loss of military membership will result in immediate loss of your full-time military technician position.
In accordance with the Labor Management Agreement, Article 18, Promotions:
Area of Consideration
The area of consideration for all Idaho National Guard bargaining unit positions will be as follows:
(1) Bargaining unit members
(2) All other individuals
This does not preclude management from selecting either Section (1) or Section (2) applications after Section (1) applicants have been considered.
Application materials must be received by Wednesday, April 03, 2013 . Failure to provide complete information may result in your not receiving consideration for this position. Please refer to the Qualifications and Evaluations section to understand the requirements.
- Military requirement: Enlisted
- MOS: Financial
The purpose of this position is to provide analysis, validation, processing and correction of financial transactions and issues/problems involving the full range of financial services. Incumbent uses complete understanding of inter-related systems and processes across multiple functional areas and their interoperability to ensure the validity and accuracy of all disbursements, collections, and adjustments related to financial records.
b. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES :
(1) Performs broad-in-depth financial analysis of inter-related accounting, logistics and computer file systems concerning pay, accounts payable, and various travel entitlements, using multiple procedures, processes and techniques to evaluate alternatives and arrive at decisions, conclusions and recommendations. Analyzes diverse financial management technical methods, techniques, precedent cases, and procedures to resolve an extensive range of difficult financial technical issues or problems.
(2) Performs in-depth analysis, complicated pay, travel, and accounts payable issues involving substantial corrective action and/or complicated adjustments and resolves issues, including assessing unusual circumstances or conditions. Utilizes experience and judgment, rather than guides, to fill in gaps, identify sources of information, and make working suppositions about what transpired to decide approaches, and resolve specific problems. Develops variations in approaches to fit specific problems or deals with incomplete, unreliable or conflicting data in the process of work performance in order to validate transactions and resolve inconsistencies.
(3) Analyzes particular facts of financial transaction problems/issues, verifies and evaluates data; obtains additional information to reconcile discrepancies or inconsistencies; and applies pertinent fiscal laws, regulations, precedent decisions, and procedures to determine appropriate action for resolution. Performs research regarding many different and unrelated processes and methods relating to financial transactions for analysis of complex and unusual financial transactions. Analyzes results, applies personal initiative and judgment to make recommendations, which may result in changing guidelines affecting internal, state, and National Guard Bureau (NGB) level processes and procedures.
(4) Analyzes and resolves tax processing problems based on soldier inquiries or internal control audits/reviews, ranging from Permanent Change of Station (PCS) issues and combat tax exclusion pay to refunds of erroneous tax collections. Ensures complex tax issues involving tax documents, Do It Yourself (DITY) moves, and Relocation Income Tax Allowance (RITA) payments are accomplished accurately and timely.
(5) Interprets data to identify problems, determines nature of the problem or issue, decides approaches to use to resolve issues, and recommends solutions for systemic changes to enhance operations. Uses independent judgment to reconstruct incomplete files, devise more efficient methods for procedural processing, gather and organize information for inquiries, or resolve problems referred by others. Interprets user requirements in designing new ad hoc reports or modifications to standard financial and management systems, resulting from regulatory, system, or force structure changes.
(6) Researches, interprets, analyzes, and applies regulations, policies, procedures and legal decisions to work and/or resolve complex financial issues/problems. Uses public law; fiscal law; Department of Defense (DoD), Department of the Army (DA), Forces Command (FORSCOM), NGB, and Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) regulations; Standing Operating Procedures; Comptroller General Decisions; and policies and issuances to execute the full range of financial and commercial services.
(7) Performs or conducts research, investigates and solves problems involving reconciliations of discrepancies (Electronic Funds Transfer rejects, pay/personnel/travel mismatches) to identify, analyze and provide solutions regarding multiple entitlements, payments to personnel in various duty statuses and assorted payments to commercial vendors, including computation of interest due. Sorts complicated factual information and applies a variety of financial methods to resolve issues.
(8) Performs complicated actions to solve problems associated with processing actions regarding multiple pay, travel, and accounts payable financial systems. Incumbent uses related financial regulations and rulings covering diverse types of transactions to function as the technical authority for resolving an extensive range of financial issues or problems.
(9) Performs varied duties, involving financial services payment systems (travel, accounts payable, and pay; i.e. Joint Uniform Military Pay System Uniform Standard Terminal Input System (JUMPS), Operational Data Store (ODS), Standard Financial System ReDesign1 (SRD1), Defense Travel System (DTS), Integrated Automated Travel System (IATS), etc., by applying a series of different and unrelated methods, processes and techniques involving established financial management systems. Analyzes and develops a variety of new or established techniques and methods to evaluate alternatives and arrive at decisions, conclusions, and recommendations that enhance operations. Uses different procedures, as transactions are not completely standardized, or transactions are inter-related with other systems, that require coordination with other personnel or staff, both internal and external to the organization.
(10) Determines appropriate pay, allowances, and entitlements resulting from multiple military and civilian statuses, to include: Title 10 active duty; Title 32 Inactive Duty for Training (IDT), Annual Training (AT), Active Duty for Training (ADT), Active Guard and Reserve (AGR), and Active Duty for Operational Support (ADOS (includes Defense Support to Civilian Authorities (DSCA) operations). Executes unique and special pay and entitlement actions in order to provide the appropriate entitlements, such as Base Pay; Basic Allowance, Housing (BAH); Basic Allowance, Subsistence (BAS); Incapacitation Pay (INCAP); Family Separation Allowance (FSA); Hazardous Duty Pay; Hostile Fire Pay; Combat Zone Tax Exclusion (CZTE); Special Duty Assignment Pay (SDAP); Student Loan Repayment Program (SLRP); incentive (bonus) pay; Invitational Travel Authorization (ITA); Jury Duty; child support; wage garnishments; allotments; survivor benefits; and incentive pays (Jump Pay, Medical Pay, Flight Pay, Foreign Language Proficiency Pay).
(11) Analyzes and processes transactions directly with U.S. Treasury and local financial institutions to ensure credits and collections are accomplished in a timely manner in accordance with law, regulation and policy.
(12) Applies information derived from personnel management systems to ensure proper pay and entitlements to Soldiers and civilians. Supports Soldier Readiness Processing (SRP) with face to face interviews to conduct personal records review and ensure effective transition to Title 10 duty with accurate pay and entitlements.
(13) Uses computer master file systems, document processing and the effects of transactions on existing records to modify normal automated processes while protecting historical data. Ensures accuracy of modifications relating to payments, contract modifications, accessions, separations, collections, disbursements, garnishments, electronic fund transfer changes, and out of service debts or other actions involving complicated adjustments. Determines appropriate travel entitlements for multiple duty statuses and situations including Temporary Duty (TDY), local travel, and Permanent Change of Station (PCS).
(14) Determines appropriate payments to vendors by applying Prompt Payment Act, tax law, contract law, account code structure, invoice processes, and Grants and Cooperative Agreement regulations and guidelines.
(15) Audits the full range of pay, travel, and accounts payable authorizations and entitlements to determine compliance with multiple laws, regulations, policies and issuances.
(16) Schedules, runs, and analyzes various financial system reports, such as daily activity reports, error/reject reports, status reports, discrepancy and mismatch reports, transaction reports, and ad hoc reports.
(17) Responds to requests for assistance/information from multiple sources, to include soldiers, civilian employees, family members, unit supervisory personnel, Inspectors General (IG), Investigating Officers (IO), state and federal political members, and vendors. Trains customers on pay and travel entitlements and associated systems, processes and reports. Applies principles and practices involving data protected under the Privacy Act.
(18) Performs other duties as assigned.
Experience, education, or training in progressively responsible clerical, office, or other work which demonstrates the candidates ability to communicate with individuals at different levels in order to assist and provide information. Experience using computers and automated systems.
No special education requirements needed for this position.
(Proof of degree must be submitted in application package)
- Must have at least 12 months experience maintaining records, compiling reports, compiling figures, or performing other procedural work of two or more sections. Experience summarizing, analyzing and evaluating financial data for review. Experience providing technical and specialized administrative data, background material and references upon request.
GS-08 -- Must have at least 18 months experience doing thorough accurate work that requires a logical sequence of steps to accomplish a task. Experience in obtaining and interpreting information, organizing and developing clear and meaningful written information. Experience which included responsibility for the supervision and management of personnel.
Within your application package, you must explain how you gained the specialized experience required for this position.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
SUBSTITUTION EDUCATION FOR SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE:
High school graduate or the equivalent may be substituted for 3 months of experience. Education in schools above the high school level may be substituted for experience on the basis of one academic year of study (i.e., 36 weeks of substantially full-time study, or 30 semester hours or the equivalent) for 12 months of experience. For experience required in excess of 24 months, education in schools above the high school level may be substituted at the rate of one academic year of education for six months experience. Each 30 semester hours credited must have included at least six semester hours in courses which are directly related to the type of work of the position.
(Proof of education must be submitted with application package)
Idaho National Guard Mission Statement:
The incredible versatility of the National Guard enables its troops to respond to domestic emergencies, combat missions, counterdrug efforts, reconstruction missions and moreall with equal speed, strength and efficiency.
Whether the call is coming from the Governor of the State of Idaho or directly from the President of the United States, Guard Soldiers and Airman are always ready and always there.
Selectee will be required to participate in the Direct Deposit Funds Transfer Program.
This is a dual-status position and membership in the Idaho Army National Guard is required. By submitting this application you are affirming to the validity of the information you have provided.
All male applicants born after 31 December 1959 will be required to furnish a statement of Selective Service registration status prior to appointment. (5 U.S.C. 3328)
Acceptance of any military technician position over 179 days will cause termination of entitlement and eligibility for all bonuses and student loan repayments effective the date of employment. This does not affect Montgomery GI Bill eligibility. Payments of Selected Reserve reenlistment bonuses authorized in section 308b of title 37, United States Code, to Military Technicians (Dual Status) who become eligible for reenlistment while serving on active duty in Iraq, Afghanistan or Kuwait in support of Operation Enduring Freedom or Operation Iraqi Freedom (in theater) are excluded from repayment. Acceptance of any military technician position may affect your incentive bonus. Check with your incentives manager to see if this applies to the incentive you received.
Applicants who feel they have reinstatement/restoration/re-promotion rights to this grade and position should contact the Human Resources Office.
The Idaho National Guard is an Equal Opportunity employer. Selection for this position will be made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, physical handicap or age which does not interfere with job accomplishment or National Guard membership. Veteran's Preference does not apply to any National Guard position.
The Federal government offers a number of exceptional benefits to its employees. The following WEB addresses are provided for your reference to explore the major benefits offered to most Federal employees.
Flexible Spending Accounts:
The Federal Flexible Spending Accounts Program (FSAFeds) allows you to pay for certain health and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars. For additional information, visit: https://www.fsafeds.com/fsafeds/index.asp
The Federal Employees Health Benefits Program (FEHB) offers over one hundred optional plans. For additional information visit: http://www.opm.gov/insure/health/index.asp
Most Federal employees earn both Annual and Sick Leave. For additional information visit: http://www.opm.gov/oca/leave/index.asp
The Federal Employees Group Life Insurance Program (FEGLI) offers: Basic Life Insurance plus three types of optional insurance, for additional information visit: http://www.opm.gov/insure/life/index.asp
Long Term Care Insurance:
The Federal Long Term Care Insurance Program (FLTCIP) provides long term care insurance for federal employees and their parents, parents-in-law, step parents, spouses and adult children. For additional information visit: http://www.ltcfeds.com
Almost all new employees are automatically covered by the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS). FERS is a three tiered retirement plan. The three tiers are: Social Security Benefits, Basic Benefit Plan and the Thrift Savings Plan (TSP). For additional information visit: http://www.opm.gov/retire/index.asp
This link provides an overview of the benefits currently offered to federal employees: http://www.usajobs.gov/El/benefits.asp
The Army is a key component of the U.S. Armed Forces, providing expeditionary land forces wherever and whenever they are required. Working...