Executive Sous Chef
Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group is the award-winning owner and operator of some of the world's most prestigious hotels and resorts. Mandarin Oriental now operates, or has under development, over 11,000 rooms in 27 countries with 18 hotels in Asia, 13 in The Americas, and 12 in Europe and Middle East. In addition, the Group operates, or has under development, 14 Residences at Mandarin Oriental connected to its properties.
This position is located in The Americas, Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, luxury hotel comprises 127 spacious guestrooms and suites, providing guests with unparalleled views of the city. Facilities include an all-day dining restaurant and lounge bar, as well as a wide selection of meeting rooms, including a 130-seat ballroom. The extensive spa facilities are complete with 14 treatment rooms and will feature signature therapies for which Mandarin Oriental spas are renowned.
It is the mission and intent of this position that the incumbent will take full responsibility in conjunction with the Executive Chef, for the Management and Leadership and ensure smooth running of food production operations and maintain standards within budget and culinary areas
Daily communication between all Culinary/F&B/operational department is very essential. Internal & external communication is of utmost importance. Respect and communication will promote an excellent environment in which to work and will provide for your guests a welcome feeling. You are expected to be a "team player," anticipate guest needs, and provide guests & colleagues with a friendly experience. Work with the Spirit of cooperation to maintaining our "5 Diamonds"
Supervises Sous Chefs, Chef de Cuisine, and Stewarding
Duties and Supporting Responsibilities· The Executive Sous Chef will take full responsibility for the Management and Leadership of the Banquet/Culinary/Stewarding operation and of the hotel.
- Prepare in accordance with quality, availability and seasonality and ensure market lists are completed on a daily and weekly basis
- Coordinate all menu planning and implementation
- Ensure food standards and presentation are maintained and always improved
- Organize food production in an cost effective and hygienic manner
- Attend meetings in conjunction
- Assist the Purchasing Department with the purchase of all food items and kitchen equipment
- Weekly schedule approval process
- Be responsible for recruitment, training and discipline of all kitchen staff
- Constantly strive to improve operating procedures
- Find ways to improve the efficiency of the operations that isnefit our clients
- Find methods of reducing costs without affecting the level of service or product received by the guests
- Oversees discipline of all culinary employees
- Develop, implement and monitor Safe and Sound Procedures
- Use the Employee Handbook in understanding the consistent way of Communicating Rules & Regulation to our Team.
- Develop Standard & Procedures
- Develop Job descriptions for the entire culinary team
- Being an effective listener, before acting is essential. (Seek to understand)
- Controlling & being accountable to the effort in achieving both Food & Labor Cost Goal
- Control food cost by maintaining food standards at reasonable cost through liaison with the Purchasing Department to check prices, market price fluctuation, quality, etc.
- Weekly schedules approval process
- Daily Payroll correction, include final payroll submitting
- Forecasting/Weekly/Monthly/Actual versus Forecast
- Ensure in conjunction with the Chef de Cuisine that the Colleague Dining is set and beautifully prepared each day.
- Thorough knowledge of Gastronomy
- Working knowledge of beverages
- Extensive knowledge of kitchen equipment
- Working knowledge of mathematics for recipes, ordering, and financial research purposes
- Working knowledge of computers and basic software
- Ability to dictate responsibility, pay attention to detail, handle multiple tasks and show a high level of patience
- Minimum of 5 years in the luxury hotel culinary business
- Minimum of Three years Management Experience As a Restaurant Chef, Banquet Chef or Executive Sous Chef
- Able to work within the guidelines of the Companies Fire, Life and Safety Program and transfer the knowledge to Sous Chefs and Colleagues.
- Able to perform self audits to prepare us for the health department and the Safe and Sound audit.
- Strong creativity
- Quality driven with a passion for excellence.
- Must possess excellent organizational and administrative skills, interpersonal skills and leadership skills.
- Approachable, open-minded and fair
- Flexible work hours to meet the demands of a 24 hour operation.
- High energy
Each of the items listed is considered an essential function of the position. However, the duties, responsibilities and requirements presented in this job description are intended to be broad based and high level and should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all roles or responsibilities for the position. The Company reserves the right to alter the duties and responsibilities of the position.
- Advanced HACCP certification or equivalent
- Additional languages
- Experience of retail operations
It is Company policy to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act, including by providing reasonable accommodations that do not constitute an undue hardship on the Company. Employees or applicants should direct requests for accommodation to Director of Human Resources.
Mandarin Oriental - 22 months ago