Linux System Administrator / DBA for an eCommerce platform running Linux, Apache and high volume/critical production environments. This position will work closely with the technology team in California maintaining the infrastructure of the eCommerce farm as well as maintaining the infrastructure and server systems for a call center in the Las Vegas area. Individual will work out of the Las Vegas office.
Overall duties and responsibilities include:
Database Administrator duties and responsibilities include:
- Create and maintain IT documentation.
- Work with development and IT teams to maintain all operational systems.
- Knowledge in a number of scripting languages such as Perl, PHP, and Bash.
- Respond to trouble tickets in a timely manner.
- Being part of on-call rotation schedule.
- Document all work done through a Ticket System.
System Administrator duties and responsibilities include:
- Maintain and ensure availability of PostgreSQL and MySQL based server systems.
- Database design and implementation.
- Monitor and analyze database health and performance.
- Evaluate and plan out database maintenance and upgrades.
- Review SQL queries written by development to help improve performance.
- Deploy SQL updates to development, QA and production systems.
- Generate reports for use by Executive, Finance and Accounting departments.
- Database backup and recovery.
This position requires extensive Linux, Database, and scripting knowledge. Some Postgres experience is required to be considered for the position. A Bachelor’s or higher degree in a technical discipline is desired, but not required. You MUST have advanced DBA experience, as well as maintaining and performance-tuning Linux servers and a solid understanding of Network Design, Security and IT best practices.
- Maintain and ensure availability of a Linux based e-Commerce server farm.
- Maintain Enterprise-wide monitoring systems.
- Maintain Production, QA and Development environments, as well as deploy new code to these environments.
- Write Perl, PHP, and/or Bash scripts for tasks such as automation, monitoring and troubleshooting.
- Troubleshoot in-house web applications, using a combination of Perl and PHP.
- Maintain backups.
- Maintain and troubleshoot desktop systems as required.
Technical certifications are desired but not required. You should be familiar with at least 2 different scripting languages.
This position may include occasional travel, as well as working some nights and weekends.
Specific skills and experience required include:
You MUST be self-motivated and able to get the job done with little supervision.
- Extensive Linux experience: Prior experience with Debian and Ubuntu is required. Previous experience in an e-Commerce environment is highly desired.
- SQL: Experience designing and maintaining SQL databases and ability to write complex SQL queries for reports and troubleshooting issues is required. Experience with database replication is highly desired.
- Virtualization: You must be familiar with VMWare ESXi. OpenVZ is a plus.
- Scripting: PHP, Perl, and Bash fluency is required. Experience writing Nagios plugins is a plus.
- High Availability/Load Balancing: Experience with Corosync, Pacemaker, Heartbeat.
- Hardware: Occasional hardware maintenance may be required; you must be able to lift up to 50 lbs.
You MUST have experience working in a helpdesk environment.
The following qualities are a plus:
- Linux Certifications (RHCE, LPIC).
- Experience with JBOSS, Tomcat and other JAVA based applications.
- Experience with Nagios, Cacti, Munin and/or other monitoring and performance systems.
- Fluency in German and/or Russian.
Monster - 17 months ago