Fulltime, regular exempt position with the South Central Solid Waste Authority (SCSWA).
Plans, coordinates and supervises the operations of the residential and commercial Transfer Station(s) and ensures compliance with county, state and federal EPA regulations.
Position involves working extended hours and on-call status. POSITION SUBJECT TO DRUG AND ALCOHOL TESTING ACCORDING TO SCSWA POLICY.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Supervises, organizes and coordinates the daily operations with assigned staff to meet work goals; assures activities are in compliance with all laws, South Central Solid Waste Authority policies, regulations and goals; demonstrates continuous effort to improve operations, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality seamless customer service; responds to requests for information, and provides technical information within scope of authority.
· Supervises staff through appropriate work oversight; prioritizes and coordinates work assignments; hires, trains, coaches and instructs employees as required; monitors work and evaluates performance; ensures staff adhere to policies and procedures in compliance with county, state and federal regulations.
· Supervises and ensures compliance with all federal, state and local ordinances and regulations pertaining to the collection and disposal of solid waste, household hazardous waste and transfer station, including the preparation and maintenance of compliance reports and records.
· Maintains a comprehensive schedule of facility inspections designed to ensure compliance with EPA, NMED, and OSHA requirements.
· Administers, evaluates and maintains a vigorous safety program by utilizing a flexible and applicable system of hazard control through risk identification, job hazard/task analysis, inspections, accident analysis and investigation, and training; provides for a safe and healthy workplace for both employees and customers.
· Oversees the storage of transfer trailers, the contracting of or supervision of staff in the transportation of waste tires, cardboard, and household hazardous waste (HHW); monitors contractors’ performance to assure that all solid waste activities are performed as stipulated in the contract.
· Schedules vehicle/equipment repairs and preventive maintenance according to established procedures, guidelines and systems; coordinates maintenance and repairs with vendors and/or dealers maximizing warranties and service contracts; estimates downtime of vehicles/equipment based on workload; communicates with vehicle or equipment operator and Director regarding status of repair and/or work performed.
· Investigates and settles complaints from residents, businesses, and contractors; researches and responds to questions or problems raised by Solid Waste Authority Board, City Council, Board of County Commission, Director, or other outside agencies.
· Performs administrative duties for the Authority, including negotiating and recommending contract terms; evaluating performance, and ensuring compliance to warranty and contract agreements; may prepare required reports and maintain performance and maintenance records, including compliance reports for federal, state, and county regulatory agencies, depending on assignment; manages expenditures to ensure budget compliance.
· Provides effective, professional leadership, positioning the Authority to meet the community's current and future solid waste needs through appropriate technologies and services; acts as Authority liaison to residential, industrial, and commercial waste generators and other solid waste agencies; may attend Board meetings and other meetings to represent the Authority.
Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering, Environmental Sciences or closely-related field PLUS three (3) years of experience in solid waste operations with one (1) year supervisory/management experience. A combination of education and experience may be applied in accordance with South Central Solid Waste Authority policy.
Valid driver’s license is required. Position requires an acceptable driving record in accordance with South Central Solid Waste Authority policies. Transfer Station Certification must be obtained within six months of employment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Comprehensive knowledge of: Principles and practices of administrative management; principles and practices of effective employee supervision; processes to manage the operations of a residential and/or commercial Transfer Station.
Ability to: Assess and prioritize multiple tasks, projects and demands; prepare operating budgets, reports, presentations; analyze trends and statistical information regarding solid waste operations; resolve personnel conflicts and problems and assess staff performance and staffing requirements; maintain and enhance the overall safety culture through provision of procedures, communication, and employee involvement; perform complex problem solving and creativity in program/policy analysis, development and implementation; communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing; operate, service and maintain various pieces of heavy equipment utilized in the field operations.
Skills in: Evaluating solid waste and recycling issues, and developing plans for the improvement of the quality of services for clients, and for cost effective management of allocated resources; analyzing and interpreting special issues, evaluating alternatives, and making logical recommendations based on findings; using initiative and independent judgment within established procedural guidelines; working effectively with a diverse cultural community; reading and interpreting rules and regulations, and effectively advising department staff on program and facility issues; operation of a personal computer and various software applications.
City of Las Cruces, NM - 19 months ago
SPECIALTY RETAILERS, INC.
White Sands, NM
SPECIALTY RETAILERS, INC.
- 30+ days ago