The Director of Development Operations and Annual Giving is a key leadership member of American University Washington College of Law’s Development and Alumni Relations team. This position will help quickly build the department’s capacity to support a major $20 million Law Campus Capital Campaign and build excitement and support among our more than 18,000 alumni. The incumbent formulates the comprehensive strategies and systems that move alumni and friends from annual givers to major and planned gift donors. The Director works closely with WCL’s Associate Dean of Development and Alumni Relations to develop a highly functional and well-respected team that fosters a culture of philanthropy and investment at the school.
A Bachelor's degree is required.
Other skills and abilities required include:
- At least 5 years of fundraising or related nonprofit experiences
- Demonstrated success setting and achieving annual giving goal goals
- Excellent oral and written communication skills demonstrated by clear, concise, and persuasive writing
- Experience with database management and basic financial reporting
- Strong organizational skills and broad understanding of all functions of a development office
- Excellent organizational, written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented, able to meet tight deadlines, and work independently but collaboratively
- Intellectual curiosity
- Experience working with mid- to high-level organization administrators;
- Public speaking, and private discourse;
- High-level proficiency with MS Office programs including MS Word and MS Excel;
- Experience with fundraising management systems (Colleague Advancement/Benefactor experience preferred).
- Experience in higher education
Some travel is required. Some evening and weekend event work is required.