Evaluate operating procedures and financial transactions to ensure they are in compliance with company policy and generally accepted accounting principles’ (GAAP). Plan, coordinate, perform and report on work assignments associated with financial aspects of the company based on risk assessments and priorities established by and under the direction of the Audit Services Manager.
• Participate in audits of various departments, locations, and processes to verify compliance of operations with policies, procedures, regulations, and GAAP.
• Lead the planning, coordination, execution and reporting stages of the Audit Service Divisions projects with an emphasis on the Company’s Operational processes and Financial Accounting processes.
• Assess processes and procedures for adequacy of internal controls, and for compliance with GAAP.
• Develop and complete audit programs steps utilizing COSO objectives and components that address operational, compliance and financial activities.
• Utilize AutoAudit software to document audit procedures performed, maintain support documentation, develop findings, provide recommendations, and create audit reports to ensure compliance with Audit Services Division Standards and COSO framework objectives.
• Work with functional management and other members of the Audit Services Staff to work through questions that arise during the audit process.
• Monitor audit projects and communicate the status of audit projects with manager.
• Submit audit programs, audit support documentation, workpapers, and draft audit reports to the Audit Services Manager for review and approval.
• Direct and Preliminary Review work completed by staff auditors.
• Identify and research suggested improvements to areas being audited in order to reduce risk, ensure compliance with policies, procedures, regulations, GAAP and to ensure efficient utilization of company resources.
• Work with management to resolve audit issues and to implement action plans to reduce risk.
• Lead the process to follow up on audit action plans to ensure accurate and timely implementation of agreed upon recommendations.
• Lead the process of performing the appropriate audit work and providing the required documentation for the public accounting firm in association with the annual financial statement audit and other compliance audits.
• Assist other members of the Audit Services Division in completing assignments as needed.
• Conduct special projects and act as an audit liaison with other area of the company.
• Establish and maintain working relationships with members of functional management.
• Demonstrate a commitment to teamwork and exhibit a positive professional image.
Education and Experience Requirements:
• Four year college degree in accounting is required
• Four to six years audit experience in a public accounting firm, internal audit department or related area preferred
• Professional certification (CPA, CIA) or advanced degree preferred
Key Skills, Qualifications and Traits (E=Essential, P=Preferred):
• E-High degree of literacy in relation to accounting and auditing standards, financial statement internal controls, accounting practice, and internal audit activities
• E-Strong analytical, interpersonal, organizational and oral/written communication skills
• E-Self-directed, and able to work independently
• E-Proven ability to meet goals and work at a high performance level
• E-Comfortable working with management
• E-Ability to work within a team environment, skilled at interacting with internal and external personnel
• E-Word processing and spreadsheet skills
• E-Commitment to customer service
Some travel may be required.
Nelnet is an Equal Opportunity Employer, complies with Executive Order 11246, and takes affirmative action to ensure that qualified applicants are employed, and that employees are treated during employment, without regard to race, color, religion/creed, national origin, gender, or sex, marital status, age, disability, use of a guide dog or service animal, sexual orientation, military/veteran status, or any other status protected by Federal or State law or local ordinance. Qualified individuals with disabilities who require reasonable accommodations in order to apply or compete for positions at Nelnet may request such accommodations by contacting Nelnet Talent Acquisition & Recruiting.