As a key member of our NYU-POLY team, Maintenance Mechanics are responsible for keeping our properties in top-notch physical condition, inside and out. A typical day could include plumbing, electrical, fire alarm system maintenance, basic drywall; touch-up painting, and appliance repairs, maintaining refrigeration, chilled water, and air conditioning equipment; boilers, and ventilating and hot water heaters; pumps, valves, piping and filters; other mechanical and electrical equipment; cooling tower maintenance plus preventive maintenance and repairs.
Application Form Display:
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision
- 5 or more years of general work experience preferred; experience with troubleshooting temperature comfort complaints, filter changes, belt changes, oil/lubing, cleaning of registers, diffusers, and vents, and small motor changes as scheduled.
- A technical knowledge of HVAC equipment and controls, including VAV systems, pneumatic thermostats, and Building Management System controllers and software (preferably Johnson Controls).
- Perform general plumbing repairs including leaks, drains, toilets, sinks, showers, flush-o-meter and gaskets.
- Perform electrical repairs including but not limited to bulb and ballast replacement, fixtures, sockets, outlets, and GFCIs
- Install and repair plumbing/piping/tubing; wire single and three phase motors (single & three phase motors);
- install and rebuild pumps and motors; install and rebuild air compressors; heat exchangers; replace bearings in all types of motors; replace seals on pumps; install and repair piping, valves, filters, hot water systems and associated controls;
- Assist other mechanics and engineers with major repairs and maintenance of building and equipment. Install, repair, and maintain electrical controls, switching and motor controls. Operate and maintain critical equipment
- A technical knowledge of lighting equipment, lighting control systems and the ability to organize and maintain spare light bulb stocks
- A technical knowledge of carpentry, painting and drywall repair/replacement projects as scheduled
- Good computer, organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- The ability to use sound judgment to effectively solve problems within the scope of the position.
- The ability to plan and execute small projects, including preventive maintenance.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to effectively interact with internal staff and external contractors.
- The ability to show a high level of initiative and work with minimal supervision.
- The ability to work well under pressure and maintain a professional demeanor.
- The ability to lift objects weighing 50 pounds.
- The availability to work overtime as needed, including evenings, weekends and holidays
- Addressing any maintenance issues and reporting to the Chief Engineer and Director of Facilities regarding issues when necessary.
- Attending to and being responsible for all assigned HVAC calls.
- Keeping the locker room, maintenance shop and floor supply closets clean and orderly.
- Maintaining and implementing the preventative maintenance program to ensure the work order calls and complaints are being attended to.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A High School Diploma required, Trade School Certificate preferred
- Completion of 300 HOURS HVAC COURSE
- HVAC certification required: Type II, Type III, and/or Universal
- NYC Refrigeration License
Polytechnic Institute of New York University - 6 months ago
Higher education is at the core of this Big Apple institution. The setting and heritage of New York University (NYU) make it one of the nati...