Posting Title Staff Engineer-OVS About Us Nicira, part of the VMware (NYSE: VMW) family, brings incredible, new features and capabilities to the VMware virtual networking portfolio. Our products, technology and team, combined with the existing network and security solutions at VMware, the global leader in virtualization and cloud infrastructure, form one of the fundamental building blocks in the Software-Defined Datacenter Strategy at VMware. Innovative companies such as AT&T, DreamHost, eBay, NTT and Rackspace use our products to accelerate service delivery from weeks to minutes, transforming their cloud data center operations and economics. Be an integral part of the future of the software-defined datacenter, learn more at www.nicira.com and join our team today! Why work for our Division VMware’s world-class, award-winning R&D team is comprised of thousands of top-notch computer scientists and software engineers that are transforming computing through virtualization. Members of the R&D team voice their creative ideas and watch them become initiatives, participate in exciting short-term and long-term products on the VMware roadmap, initiate advanced research projects, and/or write and test code that ships. At VMware, our engineers continue to learn and grow by working with top professionals from around the world and recent graduates of top universities and by taking advantage of our extensive internal training opportunities and generous external education assistance program. R&D team members work on the latest computing equipment and have access to the ACM and IEEE libraries. VMware has R&D offices in: Silicon Valley; Cambridge, MA; Broomfield, CO; Sofia, Bulgaria; Aarhus, Denmark; London, UK; Herzliya, Israel; Bangalore, India; and Beijing, China. Job Description Job Scope:
VMware is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our OVS team in which you will be working on Nicira's Open virtual switch platform.
This software engineer will participate in many innovative projects, with the authority and scope to apply your expertise in a fast paced and technically driven environment.
You’ll be part of a bright engineering team that has an open communication, empowerment, innovation, teamwork and customer success culture. We are looking for engineers who have a strong self-directed work ethic and make it happen mindset.
As a Linux Kernel engineer, you will use your experience in building and shipping high quality software products.
Actively involved in Linux/open source community.
Ensure standards and procedures are being adhered to.
Communicate with all stakeholders and team members and provide updates.
Perform other duties and responsibilities as requested or required.
- Extensive experience developing software in the Linux kernel.
- Excellent understanding of Linux kernel concurrency and synchronization mechanism.
- At least 5 plus years of experience developing in a software environment
- Excellent understanding/writing C code.
- Unix/Linux development/diagnostics/troubleshooting.
- Experience working on relatively large software projects.
Education: A Computer Science or related undergraduate and/or master’s degree is required. Location Palo Alto, CA, US
- Must have Linux/open source community experience.
- Experience implementing layer-2 and layer-3 network protocols and technologies.
- Experience developing networking software in the Linux kernel or various hypervisor platforms.
- Experience with virtualization systems/hypervisors
- Experience developing stateful network applications such as firewall or IPS.
- Excellent analytical skills and critical thinking.
Requisition Number 38040BR
VMware is the leader in cloud infrastructure, business mobility and virtualization software. A pioneer in the use of virtualization and...