Primary responsibility will be the evaluation of germinating seedlings in standard, vigor and herbicide bioassay tests. This is a full time, entry level position located at our company in Brookings, SD.
- Conduct germination, TZ tests, and purity and vigor examinations on many species in accordance with AOSA, ISTA and Canadian Rules and established procedures.
- Examine seed samples identifying other seed species, classifying inert matter, classifying true/off-types varieties and measuring physical characters.
- Review AOSA, ISTA and Canadian Rules and Seedling Evaluation references periodically.
- Trouble shoot and monitor for irregularities in seed or seedling test results, media, temperatures, equipment and facilities.
- Expand knowledge and professionalism in seed technology by participating in in-house continuing education, enrolling in relevant coursework, attending workshops, participating in professional seed technology committees and associations.
- Ensure quality and confidentiality of client and company information and take an active role in updating Quality System.
- Review and update quality manual procedures for germination testing.
- Assist in other areas of the company as needed.
- Promote responsibility, good work habits, a positive work environment and improve customer service.
- Degree in Agriculture or Biological Sciences preferred.
- Registered Seed Technologist (RST) certification is preferred (obtaining an CVT/RST within two years is expected)
- Experience in purity, tetrazolium (TZ), germination, and agricultural experience preferred.
- Experience in seed testing and/or laboratory work desired.
- Agricultural background preferred.
- Must be well organized.
- Must have excellent communications skills and an ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees.
- Must be able to sit and stand for extended periods.
- Must be able to regularly lift 15-20 pounds.
- Must be able to manage numbers mentally.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the company’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
- SGS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
SGS - 14 months ago
SGS is the world's leading independent testing, inspection, verification and certification company in the world.