World Resources Institute has an outstanding opportunity to join our accounting department as a Revenue Accountant responsible for applying accounting principles and procedures related to revenue (contributions and exchange transactions FAS 116). The primary responsibility involves intense monitoring and classifying of accounts receivables to ensure that all revenue is properly recognized and recorded. WRI is using a leading edge approach with Deltek (Costpoint) to properly account for revenue throughout the year. The Revenue Accountant is in charge of the daily reconciliation between bank and WRI accounts as well as handling daily receipts, monthly revenue intake sheets, spreadsheet files and inter-organizational transfers and reports and communications to program staff. S-he is also required to ensure that all monthly transactions are accurately recorded and classed, and s-he additionally assists financial analysts and Contracts & Grants staff in updating revenue tracking sheets and processing receivables.
As an integral part of the Finance department managing a 48 million dollar budget, the Revenue Accountant will also be responsible for reconciling assigned general ledger accounts. We are especially seeking an individual who wants to perform beyond status quo and business as usual in finding more productive ways to work with program staff. We are a growing organization with unlimited opportunity to advance the role of revenue accounting by partnering with the finance department leadership, programs, and contracts and grants, to advance the efficiency and effectiveness of the department.
Responsibilities are grouped into 3 major categories:
Working with programs as the primary liaison (point of contact) to properly reflect revenue rules, closing down project, setting up new projects. (25%)
Actually recording revenue and cash receipts in the system. (50%)
- Serve as backup in maintaining Contributor, the budgeting systems.
- Responsible for setting up new projects in the accounting systems (Deltek Costpoint).
- Train program staff on how to read financial reports (Cognos 10).
Coordinating and reconciling revenue with Development and Contracts and Grants (25% )
- Responsible for processing cash receipts and preparing accounts receivable aging reports and updating cash flow statement.
- Responsible for accuracy of financial reports - Preparing assigned supplemental schedules for audited financial statements including major donor list, schedule of net assets released from restrictions and temporarily restricted net assets.
- Accurately and timely reconciling assigned general ledger accounts
- Review bank reports on daily basis and inform program staff of incoming cash receipts.
- Stay on top of monthly, quarterly and yearly accounting cycles and preparing accurate monthly financial statements.
- Other special projects as assigned
- Responsible for preparing revenue compliance form after reviewing grant documents.
- Work closely with Programs staff and Grants & Contracts staff while processing monthly revenue recognition based on revenue rules established by the programs.
- BS in accounting; or equivalent accounting experience
- At least 4 years experience in accounts receivable, budgeting, or accounts payable functions
- Solid understanding of accounting principles, especially revenue recognition for non-profits (FAS 116)
- Knowledge of auditing practices and principles and ability to work independently and make financial decisions with ease
- Excellent organizational skills
- Strong quantitative, and analytical skills
- Demonstrated problem solver and trouble shooter with variable problem solving abilities
- Computer skills: advanced proficiency in spreadsheets, Excel (Graphs, Marcos, and Pivot Tables) and MSOffice applications
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to communicate accounting to non-accountants
- Customer Service Oriented – able to work with Programs staff as well as Grants & Contracts staff
- Experience with Deltek systems preferred
World Resources Institute - 22 months ago
copy to clipboard