OnStar IT Network Engineer - II-INF0002889
Individuals in the Networking job family are primarily responsible for analyzing, designing, installing, administering, maintaining, and troubleshooting network systems. They participate in capacity planning, support the creation and the maintenance of network disaster recovery plans, and monitor all network performance activities. They also screen the network for attempted intrusions as well as design and implement appropriate network security measures and procedures. Individuals are responsible for the implementation and maintenance of network services software and the analysis of network performance. They are routinely involved with the configuration and maintenance of physical and logical network components. They also provide support for network issues that come through the customer service center. Senior professionals within this job family are additionally involved with planning and designing the network infra-structure and enterprise network solutions.Individuals act as project team members or leaders, depending on the scope of the project. They demonstrate a high level of knowledge surrounding general networks and display strong troubleshooting skills. Individuals are also skilled in the use of network diagnostic tools and software aids for the investigation of network problems.
Responsible for troubleshooting, installing, implementing, administering, and maintaining network systems and providing Tier II support. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Design, Monitoring, Integration, and Support/Maintenance. Provides support for network connectivity or related network issues for the user community.
- Troubleshoots, diagnoses, and resolves network problems.
- Coordinates the installation, configuration, and maintenance of network components.
- Monitors network activity and identifies network problems.
- Researches, analyzes, and implements software or hardware changes to rectify any network issues.
- Reviews facilities bandwidth requirements and system interdependencies.
- Adjusts bandwidth on routine basis and provides input to capacity planning activities.
- Defines disaster recovery plans and develops network test plans.
- Assesses network performance to ensure that it meets the present and future needs of the enterprise.
- Implements network security procedures and makes recommendations for improvement.
- Monitors services provided by vendors to ensure service levels meet requirements.
- Provides timely and complete project status reports to supervisor as requested.
- Integrates technical support requirements with enterprise processes and strategies.
- Identifies technological opportunities to meet client needs.
- Creates information system solutions to meet the needs of business partners.
- Partners with appropriate technical consultants, experts, and managers.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems or other related field, or equivalent experience.
- 7-8 years of relevant IT work experience
- 5+ years of experience in large scale enterprise LAN/WAN environments.
- Familiarity with telecommunications technologies, including SMS, H.323, SS7, SIP and VoIP.
- Familiarity with network load balancers, including: F5 and Cisco CCS 11506 / ACE.
- Familiarity with Firewall Access and Security Policy, including Nokia and Cisco PIX.
- Experience with “911” availability class systems.
- Experience in the management of systems operations and maintenance of large enterprise networks.
- Solid understanding of data communication principles, including OSI and TCP/IP protocol models, including network security for both mobile, wireless and wireline networks.
- Proven track record in the following skills/abilities:
- Analytical Thinking
- Problem Solving
- Process Orientation
Primary Location: US-MI-Detroit
Posting Date : Nov 2, 2012, 3:46:37 PM - Ongoing
Job: Information Technology
General Motors - 18 months ago
Growth opportunities at GM for talented people are as wide as the world.
From the design and engineering of new state-of-the-art plants...