Canonical, the company behind Ubuntu, is seeking an engineer to play a key role in the Juju Engineering team, the team implementing our Service Orchestration strategy. As a key member of the Juju Cloud Enablement team, the Juju Cloud Enablement Developer will be responsible for a key portion of the Juju Project, providing support for planning and execution within the team. The Juju Cloud Enablement Developer will work with a diverse, fast-moving, distributed technical team. For more information on the Juju project in general, please see http://juju.ubuntu.com .
The Juju Cloud Enablement team is responsible for delivering Ubuntu Server for public clouds, which is one of the fastest growing and the most popular operating systems for cloud deployments and use in the cloud today.
Ubuntu strives to be the best free software development platform in existence paired with Juju leading service orchestration. Applicants should be passionate about the future of Ubuntu Server in the cloud, service orchestration with Juju, and able to work in a globally distributed team of engineers who share that passion. The successful candidate will be mindful of the dynamics of the open source ecosystem, and equally aware of the needs of large but innovative organizations. This job involves international travel several times a year, usually for one week at a time.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities
Required skills and experience
- Develop cloud images with integrated testing to meet requirements defined for a target cloud, and provide an optimal user experience.
- Develop new and maintain existing cloud image build infrastructure with a focus on automated testing and remote validation.
- Develop cloud solutions that properly index cloud images and integrate with Juju.
- Develop and set up archive mirrors for use by in-cloud networks.
- Develop tools and solutions around Ubuntu Cloud Images and Juju.
- Directly interface with customers to get interactive feedback on the cloud solution during initial delivery, and gather feedback to properly maintain the solution.
- Work with other Canonical engineering, service, and product teams on feature and product planning for Canonical offerings based on the technology being developed.
- Collaborate with Canonical teams to develop and deliver the Ubuntu Certified Public Cloud program to defined milestones.
Desirable skills and experience
- Experience with service orchestration tools, workload management, cloud platform enablement, and an understanding of how Juju fits into the market.
- Experience in public cloud technologies, and virtualization.
- Proficient in shell scripting, and python.
- History of developing strong, productive relations with open-source development groups.
- Ability to use, design and develop restful APIs.
- Excellent communications skills in the English language, both verbal and written,especially in online environments such as mailing lists and IRC.
- Experience of the Linux and free software world, and solid knowledge of the cloud computing industry and trends.
- Ability to effectively interact with a diverse group of people (both technical and non-technical), multi-tasking when necessary
- Ability to be productive from a home office in a globally distributed team through self-discipline and self motivation, delivering according to a schedule, and to motivate and mentor others to do the same
- Knowledge of Ubuntu release cycles, development, and packaging.
- Develop processes that properly scale solutions with embedded continuous integration, and automation.
- Ability to document solutions and processes understandable by technical and non-technical personnel.
- Application development and operational knowledge with the ability to translate that knowledge into Juju Charms.
Knowledge or experience in one or more of the following areas: ]
Location: US (given appropriate facilities including broadband Internet).
- Service Orchestration
- Cloud Computing
- Deployments of scale-out computing workloads
- SAAS experience
- Enterprise customer facing sales support
- Go lang
Reports to: Engineering Manager, Juju
Canonical provides engineering, online and professional services to Ubuntu partners and customers worldwide. As the company behind the...