As a Senior System Administrator with Illumina you will apply your technical skills and creativity in support of our scientific research and development staff. Working with the IT team you will provide day to day user and system support for enterprise compute, storage and archiving architectures. This position requires a technically adept individual who can work in teams across global boundaries, applying creative thought to solve complex computing challenges. Candidate must have excellent interpersonal skills, eagerness to learn and grow, and have a flexible approach to solving complex problems.
Primary responsibility includes implementation, support and administration of a global HPC (High Performance Computation) infrastructure, comprised of HPCC, high performance data storage, networking gear and archiving, to support data analysis of DNA sequencing data in a very dynamic R&D, bioinformatics and manufacturing environment. The candidate will work in a team of HPC experts and in collaboration with inter-site bioinformatics and software development teams to design and develop standardized complex IT hardware and software solutions to support and ensure high quality DNA analysis results. Additional responsibility will include providing IT expertise and support to internal product development for selecting and qualifying proper hardware and software solutions to integrate into the company’s products. All is in a mixed 70/30 Linux/Windows environment with support emphasis on Linux.
The candidate is required to possess current knowledge of wide range of emerging / leading edge technologies and have the technical expertise to provide support for technological solutions for complex business challenges.
Job duties include but are not limited to:
• Provide support and administration for the company’s Linux environment globally.
• Implementation and administration of a highly available and resilient HPC infrastructure based on technical requirements to support successful the objectives of variety of business units such as R&D, Bioinformatics, Service Business and Manufacturing. The support of the HPC environment will include in general, but will not be limited to, implementation, administration, monitoring and optimization of HPCC (High Performance Compute Clusters), High Performance Data Storage, Archiving and Networking in a mixed NFS/CIFS environment. Excellent knowledge of Linux/Unix and good understanding of Windows will be required for successful performance of this duty.
• In collaboration with the business and as a part of the HPC team the candidate will actively participate in the development of HPC standards and usage policies including hardware selection and standardization, SOPs, usage and resources allocation, data management and archiving policies. As a part of this duty it will be required to effectively communicate the enforcement of the policies and standards, while maintaining a highly professional and friendly attitude. Strong communication and interpersonal skills will be required for success.
• Implement and maintain workflow process automation scripts and procedures to ensure results consistency.
• Work in a team of HPC experts to review current standards on regular basis and research, design and implement new high performance computational solutions based on updated technical requirements and current industry standards trends.
• Provide second level computer support to the internal business units. Troubleshoot and resolve hardware and application issues, networks, file system access, etc. Ensure continuous proactive monitoring of HPC and other computer systems related to and supporting the core businesses of the company.
• Proactively troubleshoot and optimize network and data workflow related bottlenecks to ensure HPC systems high availability and performance, and reliability of data collection and analysis.
• Provide the IT business customers with IT advice and recommendations including participation in internal development process by proposing suitable and cost effective IT solutions for our products.
• Document and communicate effectively procedures, configurations, standards, etc.
• On call as needed (24/7/365)
Education and Experience:
• B.S. in Computer Science, IS/IT or equivalent education and experience.
8+ years of IT systems administration and support. 4+ years of experience in Linux/UNIX, HPCC and data storage design, support and administration.
• Expertise in administration, configuration, optimization and monitoring of variety of Linux flavors, HPCC solutions such as SGE, MPI and alike, high performance data storage (NAS/SAN/Clustered) such as Isilon, HP and EMC. Extensive experience in installation, configuration and fine tuning of UNIX/Linux OS and applications including cross platform file system mounting and security (Linux to Windows and vice versa), application installations, services configuration and access administration.
• Current deep knowledge and expertise in wide range of High Performance Computing and data storage technologies – SAN, NAS, DAS, Clustered, iSCSI, Fiber Channel, etc.
• Experience with R&D and Manufacturing IT support in mixed and high demanding Linux and Windows mixed environment. Experience with scripting tools such as WHS, Perl, and Python is desirable.
• Experience with configuration, optimization and monitoring of network (LAN and WAN) devices and traffic as well as administration and configuration of Cisco routers and switches. Excellent knowledge and experience with network protocols and services (TCP/IP, LACP, SMTP, SNMP, DNS, DHCP). Experience with Infiniband and fiber switching highly desirable.
• Experience with server hardware and software technologies – file, FTP, storage/RAID systems, backup and archiving (enterprise level high performance libraries), etc. Deep knowledge and understanding of server and storage hardware specifications
• Some experience in supporting Microsoft applications, platforms, and services (Active Directory, Windows 2000/2003 Server, XP, etc).
• Ability to learn new technologies quickly. Excellent technical research, troubleshooting, and analytical skills (finding and implementing non-trivial solutions plays a big role in this position). Excellent written and verbal communications and interpersonal skills. Ability to communicate difficult IT concepts effectively to less IT savvy users.
• Ability to work with little supervision and proactively proposing IT infrastructure improvements.
• Willing to acquire new skills, multitask and work on projects outside of immediate area of expertise. Strong desire and ability to work as a team player.
Illumina is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Illumina, Inc. - 17 months ago
Illumina elucidates the human genome. The firm makes tools used by life sciences and drug researchers to isolate and analyze...