The System Sr. Director of Pharmacy provides leadership and direction for Pharmacy Services across the Steward Health Care System. The Sr. Director is responsible for the overall System performance of pharmaceutical care. He/she coaches and mentors pharmacy directors at each facility. In collaboration with the facility pharmacy directors, he/she ensures that the System provides optimal pharmacy services, meets all legal accreditation and certification requirements. Also he/she ensures that the System complies with hospital, state and Joint Commission policies and standards. He/she is accountable for budget preparation, implementation, monitoring and making adjustments as necessary in order to meet financial goals and objectives . He/she acts as the focal point for external Pharmacy suppliers to Steward. H e/she d rives new Steward initiatives related to pharmacy such as implementation of Specialty Pharmacy relationships and improved drug acquisition processes.
- Oversees and is accountable for the development and monitoring of all safety and quality assurance aspects of medication preparation, distribution and administration.
- Oversees and is accountable for the development, monitoring and maintenance of all aspects of the pharmacy budget and statistics for payroll and supplies.
- Oversees and is accountable for administrative management of all aspects of pharmacy operations including inpatient and outpatient pharmacies to provide drug therapy to patients within all legal and regulatory requirements.
- Oversees and is accountable for clinically relevant IT integration for Pharmacy Services.
- Oversees and is accountable for the Steward Healthcare Drug Formulary in conjunction with the Steward System Pharmacy & Therapeutics Committees and the cost effective purchasing of all medications.
- Oversees and is accountable for the design and implementation of all aspects of required technologies related to the medication use process
- Monitors and manages the performance of major Pharmacy suppliers to ensure optimal value and effectiveness from those relationships
- Develops a system pharmacy dashboard tracking monthly performance on key indicators such as safety, quality, staffing, and budget.
- Acts as functional system leader, and has dotted line relationship with hospital pharmacy directors
- Cultivates a culture of safety, accountability and fosters opportunities for pharmacy staff development
- Serves on various committees and planning groups as requested or required .
- Demonstrated ability to lead teams to address system wide issues
- Ability to work independently and take initiative,;
- Good judgment and strong, creative problem solving skills;
- Strong communication skills; ability to articulate complex concepts and issues in layman’s terms.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills;
- Facility with budgets, spreadsheets, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Working knowledge of financial analysis and business case preparation
- Education : Graduate from an accredited College of Pharmacy; Advanced Professional degree (e.g. Master of Science, or PharmD, or PhD)
- Experience: 10 years experience in hospital or health care system pharmacy leadership
- Certification/Licensure: Current Mass Pharmacist License, in good standing with Mass State Board of Pharmacy
- Software/Hardware: Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint
Steward Health Care - 18 months ago