The Nurse Practitioner is an advanced practice registered nurse who has acquired
specialized knowledge and skills through completion of a nurse practitioner program.
The practitioner has the credentials to function in an expanded nursing role and is
responsible for the daily management of selected patients. The practitioner has
responsibility for assessment and management of patients including diagnostic and
therapeutic interventions, and continuous implementation and evaluation of an
appropriate plan of care. The Nurse Practitioner works with her/his collaborating
physician in accordance with mutually developed practice guidelines, members of the
care team and is responsible to the Nursing Director or Executive Nursing Director for
the area for issues specific to the discipline of nursing.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESONSIBILITIES:
A. Patient Care Organization
1. Provides direct care, counseling, and teaching to a select patient population.
2. Performs physical examinations and provides preventive health measures
appropriate to patient needs.
3. Orders, interprets, and evaluates appropriate lab and diagnostic tests to assess
patients clinical problems and health care needs.
4. Arranges for appropriate plan of care and follow-up based on outcome of
diagnostic, lab, and physical assessment findings.
5. Performs laboratory tests appropriate for specific patient population.
6. Orders medications and writes prescriptions according to organizational and
regulatory policies and procedures.
7. Records pertinent patient care findings in the medical record.
8. Sets priorities for appropriate and efficient management of patient care that
reflects cost effective management of time, available human resources,
supplies and equipment
9. Maintains interdisciplinary approach to planning and communicating patient
care information by discussing patient data with appropriate physicians and
other health care professionals.
10. Incorporates the concepts of health maintenance, prevention, and promotion
into daily practice through patient education and counseling.
11. Demonstrates awareness of community resources and assists staff, patients,
and families to effectively utilize them.
B. Quality of Care
1. Assists in the development, implementation and revision of nurse practitioner
guidelines and monitoring requirements for prescription writingin
collaboration with their designated physician and Nursing Director or
Executive Nursing Director .
2. Evaluates outcomes of own patients care and makes necessary revisions in
3. Seeks and provides consultative services as required.
4. Participates in departmental and organization quality improvement program.
5. Utilizes quality improvement data and research findings to enhance patient
1. Demonstrates appropriate collaborative and consultative relationships with
other providers within the institution and community.
2. Serves on Nursing and Hospital Committees and assumes responsibility for
disseminating and communicating information to staff.
1. Participates in setting productivity metrics and in cost effective management
of personnel, time, supplies, and equipment in his/her area.
2. Collaborates with the Nursing Director/Practice Manager/Executive Nursing
Director in the recommendation of appropriate staffing patterns for their
E. Personnel Management
1. Participates in selection process of new employees in group or team practice
2. Provides input into evaluation of other staff as appropriate.
1. Acts as preceptor for nursing students and staff as requested.
2. Participates in orientation of new staff.
3. Participates in