Bachelor's Degree in Medical Technology (or equivalent)
Performs laboratory testing, including waived, moderate and high complexity, to comply with applicable regulations of organizations governing laboratories and according to established procedures to aid the physician in the diagnosis and monitoring of patients. Collaborates with all members of the health care team to provide quality patient care and exceptional customer service.
CORE RESPONSIBILITIES: MEDICAL LAB TECHNICIAN
1. Organizes and performs laboratory testing in lab areas that are assigned and in which employee is determined competent.
2. Determine the reliability of analytical data before it can be released for patient diagnosis or monitoring. Recognizes abnormal results or unusual circumstances and takes appropriate action.
3. Utilizes available resources to maintain and fix instrumentation or problem solve issues in collaboration with the Medical Technologist.
4. Assures quality results through the use and evaluation of control materials, proper instrument maintenance, proper daily documentation and collection and analysis of appropriate samples.
5. Utilizes laboratory information system (LIS) and network appropriately and efficiently.
6. Completes a minimum of five (5) continuing education contact hours per year or ten (10) contact hours per two years.
CORE RESPONSIBILITIES: MEDICAL TECHNOLOGIST
1. Performs all responsibilities of a Medical Lab Technician.
2. Uses critical thinking skills and professional judgment to evaluate test results, troubleshoot complex lab problems and provide clinical interpretations and expertise to other healthcare staff.
3. Performs routine function checks and maintenance on laboratory analyzers, troubleshoots and repairs instrumentation.
4. Assists in the training of personnel in clinical procedures, the use and operation of instrumentation, quality control procedures, record keeping, troubleshooting of instrumentation, and communication of normal and abnormal patient data in timely manner.
5. Completes a minimum of ten (10) continuing education contact hours per year or twenty (20) contact hours per two years.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES
- Maintains knowledge and skills applicable to the job through continuing education to comply with current state regulations.
- Is personable and customer service oriented. Demonstrates ability to positively interact with persons of different ethnic, spiritual, moral and cultural beliefs.
- Shows willingness to understand, follow, and promote the hospital’s mission, values, philosophy and objectives.
- Shows willingness to read, understand, and follow all policies and procedures, as defined for the organization and department.
- Exhibits effective decision-making skills as appropriate.
- Demonstrates ability to multi-task and work well under pressure.
- Medical Lab Technician: A.S. in Medical Technology or related Life Science.
- Medical Technologist: B.S. in Medical Technology or related Life Science.
- Certification: ASCP, NCA, or AMT required.
- Prior clinical laboratory experience.
Cheyenne Regional Medical Center - 15 months ago